Cash's Anxiety...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Cash's Anxiety...

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 pm

I agree cashisking...I would try everything and anything you can before you make a decision to put him on meds. Maybe he just needs more exercise! It's worth a try and you can always fall back on the meds if you need to.
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm

I can't blame you for wanting to rule out environmental issues. And if this is a vet who's only seen Cash for his tail injury I can understand your reluctance. Does your regular vet have any experience in behavioral issues?
Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby cashisking » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Cash has had the cone for a week and he's returned to being his same old self. Which I love!
I honestly don't think Cash needs medication- I do feel that this was a one-off, and that by committing more time to him we can alleviate some of his anxiety and bring his energy to normal levels. I have been using some anti-anxiety OTC goods (the only stuff I could find locally)during his come-time, and that seems to be helping him from focusing on his tail as it heals.
I do think I will get the Happy Traveller pills JUST IN CASE, to keep him docile for crate stays even after all this is said and done.

His tail is healing well, the vet says. Barring any serious beatings, it should be completely healed in another week.
Rudy and I are aware that this can happen again, so we are taking steps to save money in case we have to go for the Big A.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm glad he's doing better! Any luck with the anal sacs? Maybe one of those DAP diffusers might be worth a try.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I would go for med before I'd go for amputation. Sending healing thoughts for the current injury. And remember, just because something says 'natural' it's still a chemical just the same as something you'd get as a prescription....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby cashisking » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I'm glad he's doing better! Any luck with the anal sacs? Maybe one of those DAP diffusers might be worth a try.

When I took him to the vet they didn't notice any issue with his sacs, and an expression I did on them showed nothing out of the ordinary. So I don't think his sacs are bothering him. I honestly feel it is a one-off situation, that he just laid into his tail after accidentally chomping it while chasing it.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I would go for med before I'd go for amputation. Sending healing thoughts for the current injury. And remember, just because something says 'natural' it's still a chemical just the same as something you'd get as a prescription....

I'm not using amputation to fix whatever anxiety he may have.
I'm concerned about his health and well-being by having an injured tail-tip.
If his tail doesn't heal, then we may have to amputate- It's not right for Cash to walk around with an open wound, trapped in a cone and inflatable collar.

As for medication- I'd feel better about using an OTC occasionally, instead of a pill for a condition that doesn't necessarily need daily medication.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Cash's Anxiety...

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm

My experience is that SO many vets aren't up to date about which behavioral meds to use in which situations and when to prescribe, etc.

Would seeing a veterinary behaviorist be an option for you? Best of both worlds because they can understand the medical aspect of tail trauma and have the most recent information on behavior and medications.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:My experience is that SO many vets aren't up to date about which behavioral meds to use in which situations and when to prescribe, etc.

Would seeing a veterinary behaviorist be an option for you? Best of both worlds because they can understand the medical aspect of tail trauma and have the most recent information on behavior and medications.

This is true for sure. I don't blame you for not wanting to put him on meds without more information on the situation, but I would say, IF it becomes the case that for whatever reason you have to consider amputation, it wouldnt' be a bad idea to consider seeing a behaviourist who can assess if they feel a) the tail problem IS in fact caused by anxiety or just an injury that for whatever reason wouldn't heal, and b) what sort of medication would help with this. Some dogs are able to be weaned off their medication as well, so its not a life sentence.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cashisking » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Would seeing a veterinary behaviorist be an option for you? Best of both worlds because they can understand the medical aspect of tail trauma and have the most recent information on behavior and medications.

I'll have to see if there is one I can visit. I live in a small, rural community so the closest one probably will be at least an hour away.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Cash's Anxiety...

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:02 pm

cashisking wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Would seeing a veterinary behaviorist be an option for you? Best of both worlds because they can understand the medical aspect of tail trauma and have the most recent information on behavior and medications.

I'll have to see if there is one I can visit. I live in a small, rural community so the closest one probably will be at least an hour away.

I live in a fairly populated area and the closest one is still over an hour away but SO worth it.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am

My girl did the same as yours, eating her foot for hours...it was bloody and painful...it was really the lack of excersise what caused it, i worked way long hours and also study. I now take her for longer walks the foot stays wrapped up in bandage and i give her ''wendals herbs'' its natural remedy for dogs and it really works wonders for days when i know i don't have much time to give her the time she needs.

Hope cash feels better soon, if he keeps eating at this tail i would think about anxiety meds, its better then letting them cut a part of his tail
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby cashisking » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 pm

PitbullLover* wrote: Hope cash feels better soon, if he keeps eating at this tail i would think about anxiety meds, its better then letting them cut a part of his tail

I don't want to amputate his tail either.
But at this point, it's not about anxiety.
It's about making sure he doesn't get an infection, doesn't get sepsis and doesn't die.
If we can't avoid Necrosis, we're gonna have to cut it off.
Right now, I'm trying to keep him calm, docile and neutral so his tail can heal.

Once I get over this injury, I'll think about seeing if he needs meds.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 am

cashisking wrote:
PitbullLover* wrote: Hope cash feels better soon, if he keeps eating at this tail i would think about anxiety meds, its better then letting them cut a part of his tail

I don't want to amputate his tail either.
But at this point, it's not about anxiety.
It's about making sure he doesn't get an infection, doesn't get sepsis and doesn't die.
If we can't avoid Necrosis, we're gonna have to cut it off.
Right now, I'm trying to keep him calm, docile and neutral so his tail can heal.

Once I get over this injury, I'll think about seeing if he needs meds.

You are right, its about keeping him calm so he does not get a infection and give it time to heal.

How is he doing right now? how is it going with your sweet boy?
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby cashisking » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Cash is being Cash- persistent and too smart for his own good. He peeled off his scab AGAIN yesterday.
It's been close to three weeks in the cone and it's just not progressing past the Scab stage-
he seems to get itchy and then uses his cone to scrape his tail.

We're going in Monday to have the vet take a look, and possibly prescribe sedatives to keep him from caring about it for two weeks. I know it can heal, but Cash isn't giving it the chance. As much as I hate it, doping him up may give his tail a chance.
cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Health Issues