I THINK SOCKS HAS KENNEL COUGH....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby twisted » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm

some of you may know that socks got surgery about 2 weeks ago to remove some mct's. he was doing great but about two days ago he started sneezing. i didnt think much of it and i should of. last night he started coughing and then renching and hacking up white foam. i looked it up on the good ole web and kennel cough fits it to a "T". i called the vet and told them he needs to come in but they had nothing open today. he has to go in tomorrow.

i feel bad for him and worried. ive try to comfort him from the renching but it doesnt help. ive cleaned up so many flem spots i lost track.

poor dog has had a hard last couple of weeks. i hope for good news tomorrow.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: I THINK SOCKS HAS KENNEL COUGH....

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Poor guy :(

If there are other dogs in the home, don't let them eat or drink after him and don't let them get too close to him. It is contagious and it's a pain in the butt with a house full of coughing, sick dogs - not to mention the $ you have to dish out for treatment meds.

Get well soon Socks!
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:11 am

Poor Socks. I hope he is feeling better soon.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 am

Can your vet give you the dosage for an OTC couch suppressant in the mean time?

Poor Socks! :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby twisted » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm

well i took socks to the vet today. they gave him some antibiotics. the name of them starts with a "T". ill have to look at it again to get the name of it.
the doc thinks its either a sinus infection or kennel cough, both are treated with the same meds. he told me to give him to thursday/friday and he should be getting better, if not i have to call him.

on a good note he isnt coughing that much today or spitting up the phlegm and he got his stitches out !
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Glad he's on the mend! :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby twisted » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:39 pm

well his coughing has decreased but its still there. no phlegm any more though.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Kennel cough takes a while to get over, I'm glad she doing better.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Actually Kennel Cough is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. They should only be given when infection is suspected.

A good cough suppressant is a must tho. Glad to hear he's getting better
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby twisted » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Timas Mom wrote:Actually Kennel Cough is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. They should only be given when infection is suspected.

hmmm, the vet said either sinus infection or kennel cough. he didnt give me any cough suppressant though. i read that its better if the dog isnt in ot much discomfort to cough it up then to use a suppressant ?

so he is doing a little better then the last time i posted. hes coughing less but its still there.not as bad tho. he did have a short spell last night that lasted a little longer and ended up coughing up a small booger. yea i know...

then today i smell this god awful smell and realize his anal glands needed to be expressed. OMG what is that stuff...that has to be one of the worst smells out there. :eek:
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 pm

roflmao
I agree. Anal gland smell is definitely up there as far as bad odors go.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Timas Mom wrote:Actually Kennel Cough is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. They should only be given when infection is suspected.

Kennel cough can have a whole variety of causes. It may have viral involvement, but bacteria can definitely be involved also (especially Bordetella bronchiseptica).
I've had it, and it responded to antibiotics (although this article does say antibiotics are not usually indicated).
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 121619.htm
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby twisted » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:26 pm

MarMar wrote:

Kennel cough can have a whole variety of causes. It may have viral involvement, but bacteria can definitely be involved also (especially Bordetella bronchiseptica).
I've had it, and it responded to antibiotics (although this article does say antibiotics are not usually indicated).
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 121619.htm

humans can get it ? funny cause about the same time i got a little stuffy and a slight cough.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 pm

twisted wrote:
humans can get it ? funny cause about the same time i got a little stuffy and a slight cough.

I swear I got a case after a dog snorted the modified live intranasal vaccine into my face... wish there was a way to know for sure...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby MarMar » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 pm

From what I know about it, it is mostly a concern in people who are immunocompromised in some way. The case I had was not confirmed by c/s, but it happened when I was a shelter tech working every day with kennel cough dogs, and under a lot of stress. I had a cold that went on for weeks and weeks, ending in a sore throat that was so bad I would literally break down and cry. I asked my doctor if she thought it was possible, although she'd never seen it, she prescribed an antibiotic effective against B bronchiseptica and the relief was so fast it was amazing. I just hope dogs don't get sore throats like that :(
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues