TTA Surgery leg wrap

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

TTA Surgery leg wrap

Postby Curea » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Curea just had TTA surgery on 4-26. Yesterday we had to get an e-collar (comfy cone) on her because we removed her pack from her leg. She did not sleep at all with it on. I was just wondering if I could wrap my dogs leg in vet wrap when I put her in her crate while I go to work just for one day? It will be for 6 hours. Just didn't want to keep the e-collar on her while she was in her crate. We had the wrap off for 2 days now but I have to go into work for one day for a few hours. I just thought of this idea now :) It''s a little to late to call her vet to ask. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Curea
Newborn Bully

Re: TTA Surgery leg wrap

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 pm

NO. Vetwrap applied incorrectly can cut off circulation and is likely to cause far more harm than good. Even if applied loosely, it can roll from the thick thigh area down off the knee and cut off circulation that way. Proper padded bandages are the only way to go, and if you aren't trained in bandage application, do NOT put anything on.

You will need to be creative with the e-collar and secure it in a manner that she cannot get it off. If she licks her stitches out and creates infection, the results can be catastrophic.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: TTA Surgery leg wrap

Postby Odnarb » Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 am

Maybe try a Bite Not collar. Or one of those inflatable doughnut ones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Odnarb
Regulator

Return to Health Issues