Hair Loss on Muzzle

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hair Loss on Muzzle

Postby freezingbear » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:59 pm

The hair on top of Turtle's muzzle has been thinning lately and I'm not sure what could be causing it. She was at the vet on Friday having another follow up CBC from when she had IMT so I had them do a skin scraping for mange, but it came back negative.

Could the hair loss be the result of the high levels of prednisone she was on for a while, or the stress of being so sick?
Untitled by morgan_c_hoax311, on Flickr
freezingbear
Newborn Bully

Re: Hair Loss on Muzzle

Postby Leslie H » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 pm

While there are autoimmune conditions that can cause that, Soleil became sun sensitive and developed hair loss like that. We tried sunscreen, but she was also sensitive to that (aren't dilutes special). I wound up going to a homeopath, who used sulfur as a remedy. It cleared things up.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue May 01, 2012 7:00 pm

What type of bowl does she eat/ drink out of? Plastic dishes can cause reactions and/or hairloss. Another thought, my family's daschund used to rub his face raw "burying" treats in the house. Otherwise maybe just something related to mild allergies or age and color?
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby freezingbear » Tue May 01, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm wondering if it is related to her coloring now. She has ceramic dishes for water and work to eat toys for food; I've never seen her rubbing her face on the ground like that, but maybe when I'm not home? I guess sun sensitivity due to her coloring sound the most likely, as I doubt it's related to age (she will be 2 this month). Hmm...I'll have to ask the vet about that and see what can be done to clear everything up. Thanks for the input, I was completely at a loss as to what the cause could be!!
freezingbear
Newborn Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 am

are the ears also red? my girl has this, she has airborne allergy's which caused her to lose hair around her face,eyes and ears.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 pm

My boy is the same color and pattern as Turtle and he will get sunburned on his muzzle but I haven't seen him lose hair... his skin on the inner thighs and belly is as pale as I am and that will get sunburned too (and he's about 7 now so he has liver spots).

Allergies are a huge culprit and can be seaaonal-- spring and fall seem the worst for my guy

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Return to Health Issues