Distemper

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Distemper

Postby eashanna » Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 am

My husband found a stray a few weeks ago that we discovered had parvo. While he was recovering from Parvo, it seems he contracted distemper. This poor boy cannot seem to catch a break. Because he could not get his shots due to having parvo, and because his immune system was down, he got it.

He has been having a horrible twitch and has been crying all day. We have taken him to the doctor multiple times to see what we can do to get him comfortable. Right now he is on tramadol so he can try to get some rest. It works some days and some days he just cries all day long.

I feel so horrible because I feel like we did everything right. We cared for him, we loved on him, and we just do not understand why this poor baby cannot catch a break.

Is distemper something that just needs time to leave his body? Should we give him more time? He is still eating and drinking.

If all we are doing is waiting for him to die on his own, that is just way too cruel for me. I would rather put him out of his misery. But if there is a chance that the distemper can run its course, I feel like he needs to be given that chance.

How does distemper work?
eashanna
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Distemper

Postby afrikaPB » Wed May 02, 2012 10:34 am

http://www.caninedistemper.org/
All your basic info can be found on that site. Like Parvo, Distemper can't be treated directly, you can only support the pup while his body fights the virus (for example through use of antibiotics and the giving of fluids). Unfortunately many pups just up and die suddenly regardless of how well you treat them, and if they do live, often have residual effects (like neuro facial twitching).
Keeping him alive is ultimately your decision. He would probably be immediately euthanized in shelter, since both illnesses are highly contagious and deadly.
For what its worth, i took in a stray mom who had five pups who contracted distemper while she was pregnant. Only two survived-the first doed at two weeks, the second was healthy seeming until he got the twitch and declined overnight, the third we busted our backs over trying to keep him going, but put him down when his pneumonia bested us. The other two never showed clinical signs and are happy dogs just living their lives.
Best of luck and I'm sorry your pup is going through this.
afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed May 02, 2012 12:13 pm

I have no advice but want to say I am SO sorry. You have gone the extra mile and more for this stray dog. My thoughts are with you, your husband and this poor doggie.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm

If he's painful - neurontin is a good pain medication for nerve pain. I prescribe it a lot for severe arthritis and cancer pain.

There's no good treatment for distemper. Every case I have seen died eventually. Some dogs do survive it, but its very rare, and all you can do is keep hoping.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby eashanna » Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

He is at the vet right now. We did not know what to do. We kept going back and forth and eventually decided to bring him in and see what the doctors say. We will go from there.
eashanna
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Here's another link: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1733

Euthanasia is recommended when the dog has progressive clinical signs and quality of life is severely compromised. The dogs we have euthanized either had seizures that were uncontrollable (2) or had not eaten and kept food down for over a week (1).
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby eashanna » Wed May 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Cesar had to be put down today. I am gutted.. I love that puppy so much! After he beat parvo I was so proud! I cannot believe this happened.. We tried to do everything right.. Poor baby..

The doctor said there was no chance for him to get better. He has significantly worsened in 3 days.. Putting him down was the kind thing to do.

Rest now sweet Cesar.
eashanna
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

I am so sorry. I know how you and your family loved him. :crybaby:
Rest well little Cesar.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby eashanna » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

It breaks me heart..

My MIL called me crying saying over and over "I loved him"
eashanna
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I just feel so bad for you and your family. :hug:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby eashanna » Wed May 02, 2012 7:34 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I just feel so bad for you and your family. :hug:

Thanks so much. You've been there for me from the beginning! I really appreciate it.
eashanna
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Wed May 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I am so sorry. Run free, Cesar. :hug:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 am

I am so sorry. My deepest condolences to you and your family, to everyone who loved Cesar. You did everything possible.

Rest well Cesar, you were loved and are missed.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Distemper

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu May 03, 2012 10:20 am

I'm so so sorry :( what a lucky boy he was to have been loved by you.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 pm

I am so sorry, you did everything you could sometimes the best care and all the love in the world isn't enough :(
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues