Trifexis -- how's it working out for you?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm

I know several people on here have said that they use Trifexis for fleas, worms, and HW prevention. We just switched the dogs over to it May 1, after years of using Ivomec ivermectin for HW and Frontline or other topicals for fleas. We were struggling with the topicals -- Advantage and Advantix gave Button and Tucker chemical burns, though they worked really well, Frontline was easier on them, but didn't seem to be that effective -- and two vets have told us that for most of their clients, they're not encouraging topicals anymore but oral meds for flea prevention. Even though it's expensive, I chose Trifexis because it's HW and worming and flea prevention in a single dose ... so easier for us to remember to administer everything on time, once a month. And at this point, I'll do pretty much whatever it takes to avoid fleas.

We gave the boys their first dose on May 1, no side effects, though I was warned it makes some dogs vomit. Hopefully it works on the fleas!

Curious to know what others' experiences with it have been like over longer-term use.
BabyReba
Regulator

Re: Trifexis -- how's it working out for you?

Postby BlueKohl » Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I've been using it on my Saint Bernard, Daisy, since it came out. My experience with it has been great. We have fleas year round in East Texas. I would know if there were even a few flea bites, because Daisy has a very high flea allergy and gets hot spots easily. It doesn't prevent ticks, but regular mowing and a dip after runs in the woods does the trick for us.

For me, Trifexis is cheaper than buying Heartguard and Frontline/Advantage. That may not be the case for all weight levels though. Trifexis goes up to 120 lbs, whereas I had to buy a second card of Heartguard for her weight.

She has never had any side effects from it and seems to enjoy taking it.
BlueKohl
Newborn Bully

Postby MMSmith » Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 pm

I too have been very happy with trifexis. I have many of the same issues with topicals as your boys/household do. I feel that it's more cost effective because it's a three in one product. And again, easier to remember to give it.

To help combat ticks, I've been using an Insect Shield bandana when out on hikes, and have had great success with it.

My only complaint about trifexis; Henry won't take it voluntarily. Heartguard he used to gobble up, but I can't trick him into taking the pills for anything. So I basically pry his mouth open and drop the pill in lol.
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby jtalt7 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Our clients have loved it since implementing it at the clinic. I personally cant use it spring to fall because of ticks and they are NASTY this year. I pick at least 5 off these guys a day!
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 am

We just started using it this year since Sentinel is on back order. We don't start meds here until June 1st but I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with my guys.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Ive been very happy with it. I dislike the topicals. No side effects
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri May 04, 2012 6:28 pm

We actually just picked some up today. We were out of comforts and the vet suggested it because we were going to need to buy heartguard soon too. We'll let you know :) glad to hear so many positive reviews though,
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chako » Sun May 06, 2012 12:11 am

One of our adopters used it on a dog they adopted from us -- caused seizures and temporary blindness (thankfully only temporary).
chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby star_frances » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 am

We have been using it for Moira and my mom's dog since last summer - no problems here.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 pm

We're on the 4th or 5th month now with Trifexis and it seems to be working fine. Ruby scratches some but I do NOT see any fleas (so it must be random fleas or just dry skin)!!! It ends up being cheaper, tho, than buying BOTH a flea treatment AND a heartworm treatment, I think....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 am

tucker's been scratching a lot since we gave it to him, but i can't find a single flea, or trace of fleas, on him. so i think it's working for us, too. it's definitely easier and cleaner than the topicals!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby jtalt7 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:31 am

Talked to a derm guy today. They like trifexis but it and comfortis can NOT be given within 30 of any ivermectin treatments. So, get a dog with demadex that is on trifexis, have to wait 30 to start tx and then give next bill 30 daysbpost tx. 40% have seizures when it is used in combo.
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu May 31, 2012 2:37 pm

This is our 3rd or 4th month, but Martin has had two 'episodes' I wouldn't call them seizures exactly. He just freezes in place in the middle of whatever he is doing (walking around) and gets all stiff. It's super weird., he's like a statue and he is up on his toe nails, if one of his legs happens to be up as he is stepping, it stays there. It only lasts about 30 seconds, then he snaps out of it and continues on his merry way like nothing happened.
I'm pulling him off the Trifexis and hoping that it is the cause. I like that thought better than a brain tumor.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 am

Kingsgurl wrote:This is our 3rd or 4th month, but Martin has had two 'episodes' I wouldn't call them seizures exactly. He just freezes in place in the middle of whatever he is doing (walking around) and gets all stiff. It's super weird., he's like a statue and he is up on his toe nails, if one of his legs happens to be up as he is stepping, it stays there. It only lasts about 30 seconds, then he snaps out of it and continues on his merry way like nothing happened.
I'm pulling him off the Trifexis and hoping that it is the cause. I like that thought better than a brain tumor.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it, and then try the Trifexis again and see if the symptoms return. (Or do a full neuro workup with MRI).

All new drugs have a period of time where new side effects will crop up purely because labratory testing uses the minimum number of animals (which is good for lab animals, not so good for pets). This may be a soon to be well described side effect, or it might be an individual reaction, or it might not be related at all...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:29 am

It does take a bit for the drug to clear the system. No episodes today. I'm bummed, because I love the convenience of it. Non of my other dogs have experienced any symptoms (and, indeed, it may be totally unrelated) I'm going to see if he responds to being off it. My vet said an MRI isn't indicated at this point.... if my Vet had an MRI, I would have him run it anyway :) My Vet needs to buy one.
Do you come across this freezing behavior ever?
Thanks, Missi
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues