antihistimines for dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

antihistimines for dogs

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed May 02, 2012 10:54 am

Who knows any who works good? benedryl is not available in my country (holland) she is now on cetrizine 2 times a day 1 tablet 10 mg, my vet told me i could do a combination with loratadine 1 time a day 10 mg. She has airborne allergy's. Other supplements i could give? she already gets 4 capsules fishoil.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Re: antihistimines for dogs

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Studies show each individual antihistamine is abotu 30% effective. You just have to keep trying them until you find one that works for YOUR dog.

Also note antihistamines only work for mild allergies. More severe allergies will require allergy testing and immunotherapy, or long-term steroids or cyclosporine.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: antihistamines for dogs

Postby PitbullLover* » Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Studies show each individual antihistamine is abotu 30% effective. You just have to keep trying them until you find one that works for YOUR dog.

Also note antihistamines only work for mild allergies. More severe allergies will require allergy testing and immunotherapy, or long-term steroids or cyclosporine.

Thank you for your reply :) I know that antihistamines are not that great but they seem to be working with my dog, just not good enough for her to stop attacking her ears by violently scratching them, and my vet told me the same thing as you to just see which works it best for Dana. Dana is already on steroids (prednison) and Atopica (cyclosporine) since she has severe allergies, only the sideeffects from using steroids is bad i thought i should try something different.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Enigma » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Hmm... Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I have a question... You wrote about Lotradine, I googled it and it's basically Claritin which I can get here (I'm from Europe too so I also can't get Benedryl)... That's safe for dogs? Brina has some mild problems with allergies when she rubs her belly on grass and she's itchy for a couple of days after. Could I use Claritin tablets made for people in this case?
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat May 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Enigma wrote:Hmm... Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I have a question... You wrote about Lotradine, I googled it and it's basically Claritin which I can get here (I'm from Europe too so I also can't get Benedryl)... That's safe for dogs? Brina has some mild problems with allergies when she rubs her belly on grass and she's itchy for a couple of days after. Could I use Claritin tablets made for people in this case?

Hey no problem we are here to help eachother ;) it is according to my vet okay to give dogs loratadine and cetrizine, my dog also is getting the one for humans for hayfever, you can get them at the local drugstore. In europe we do not have anything like that (benadryl) for dogs, only 30% of dogs seem to benefit from them, i gave Dana my dog my prescription tablets for my allergy's (with cetrizine) and they worked fine. I also tried Reactine and AllerFre so you could give Brina them, i would start with 1 tablet 10 mg a day, and see if that works, my vet told me that 1 tablet for dogs above 30 kg, dogs who's weight is below 20 kg half tablet as you would with a child.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues