Pancreatitis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pancreatitis

Postby Red » Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 am

Tux has been diagnosed with it yesterday, after x rays and a couple of tests and two episodes of vomiting with painful crying. He was not dehydrated nor close to the worse case and Dr. Anderson did not see a reason for fluids after the results. He had an anti vomiting drug though IV and an injection of antibiotic and was supposed to come home with ready injections of antibiotics for 5 days. The antibiotic liquid is quite dense and the injection hurts, so I was hoping to be able to give him oral meds only and the vet agreed to that.No food last night and this morning I gave him a tiny bit of boiled rice with a puree of chicken breast and electrolytes, just so he could get his Ciprofloxacin, but he puked some of it shortly after. Hospitalization would be hard on him, because of his fearfulness, but if he keeps puking then I'll have to take him down to LA so he can have 24 hours monitoring. If he does not keep anything down then I can't even give him the anti vomiting oral med either (Cerenia).He is very hungry,I can't imagine fasten for a few days to give his pancreas a break, and in that case he would need fluids. Poor dog, health related problems are so much harder on him, especially if they require hospitalization.

I wanted to hear of some feedback from people who have had or have dogs with pancreatitis, outcome, food you have chosen to feed, future problems etc. I came home with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastrointestinal Low Fat (5%),just to have something til I look up the fat amount in some foods I'd rather feed, when it comes to kibble. The other option they had was Hills and Purina, and they seemed worse as far as ingredients and I am not fond of prescription diets in the first place. Home cooking everything for him is also an option, after I learn a bit more about what I must avoid and what would make things better for him.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Pancreatitis

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 am

Poor Tux :(

Right now I'm cooking for Buddy after her pancreatitis and I might continue to do so. I use Canine Life muffin mix and use lean ground turkey.

Did they run a cPL level?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Pancreatitis

Postby Red » Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 am

Yes, Allison, the did Serum Chem, CBC, GHP and then a SNAP cPL (abnormal). X rays noted Spondylosis , which I am sure is not helping his abdomen pain.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Pancreatitis

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 am

Val, if they still have blood left, I'd consider asking them to run a cPL level. A snap cPL just says positive or negative but it does not give an actual level. This might help determine how serious his case is.

In Buddy's case, she didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, didn't have any new treats or chews, isn't on a super high fat diet so we have no idea what caused it but I'm STILL going to be extra careful with her diet going forward just because she was so sick even though he levels were not that elevated.

Sometimes there can be an underlying cause but Buddy's ultrasound just checked out no problem.

Every case is different. Buddy had to be hospitalized because she couldn't keep down food or water and so was really dehydrated, she needed pain meds and oral meds weren't an option and because of the type of pain meds, she needed to be monitored. If I could have done out patient care, I would have since Buddy hates being at the clinic. I hope Tux turns things around so he doesn't have to be hospitalized!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Red » Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks Allison.He is going to get another injection of anti vomiting drug and antibiotics this afternoon, and get more blood for the levels.I won't have the results back til Monday though, since it is not an in house test (only the SNAP CPL is). I was going to wait for those results of that before an ultrasound, but I had the findings sent to the Animal Specialty Group this morning so that I can possibly go down there tomorrow.He keeps asking to go eat grass.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby bethh » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

My jack russel has pancreatitis, several bouts till I got her diet dialed in. I have been cooking for them for 8 years (she's 14 now). Equal parts organic lean meats, brown rice or steel cut oats, green leafy veggies + healthy powder mix. When I can't cook, they all get Wellness kibble or stews. Not only is she gastro-healthy, both dogs are allergy-free. Hope Tux feels better soon.
bethh
Super Bully

Pancreatitis

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Keep us posted Val!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 pm

I know little about medicine, I just hope he improves readily.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby MarMar » Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 pm

My roommate is a vet tech and her Pug has had pancreatitis...he does not eat a special food now but he definitely has to stay away from anything fatty or rich (treats or bully sticks etc)...
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Pancreatitis

Postby jtalt7 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Pancreatitis is in the flipping air!!!! We have had 11 cases in two weeks at the clinic and Bean was one of them as well as a good friend of mines APBT whom she lost. Pancreatitis can be just so nasty or mild with sometimes no rhyme or reason. Kidneys and liver still doing ok? Did they offer for you to do sub q fluids at home?
Tough call, you know him best though and know when you need to think of mental health and physical health and keep it all in check. Good luck!
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh NO, Tux!!!

I'm so sorry, Val. I hope he feels better ASAP and can stay at home with you where he feels comfy and safe. Please keep us posted. How is he doing this evening?

WTF with the pancreatitis?! It can just "come on" suddenly with no rhyme or reason or garbage-can raiding? Ugh.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Pancreatitis

Postby mtlu » Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Oh no!! I hope he's doing well enough to stay at home! Give him some love from me.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Pancreatitis

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 pm

How's Tux?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 pm

The treatment for pancreatitis is IV fluids and pain control, so I'm surprised your vet sent Tux home. Pancreatitis can change dramatically in a hurry. Its not a bacterial disease, so antibiotics are more to make us vets feel like we're treating something than actually doing any good.

I've seen everything from dogs that were 100% better in 24 hours to dogs that died despite every possible known treatment (plasma transfusions, etc.). Pancreatitis is unpredictable and all too common. When mild, its no worse than a stomach flu, when severe, its deadly.

Low fat diets are the long-term preventative/treatment of choice. If you aren't a fan of prescription diets, you may need to get a nutritionist to help you create a home diet.

Here's a great link, please note that the recommendation to withhold food for 2-3 days is no longer an accepted treatment method. Feeding is recommended as soon as vomiting has subsided.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2214
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 pm

No advice....just well wishes from us!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues