Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby mtlu » Sat May 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Those who don't live in the states affected by the recall BUT order their food online should check their bags and/or tracking info on their orders to see which state their order was shipped from too.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Red » Sat May 05, 2012 6:35 pm

mtlu wrote:Those who don't live in the states affected by the recall BUT order their food online should check their bags and/or tracking info on their orders to see which state their order was shipped from too.

Good point for sure. I use Vittles Vault containers so I can't look at bags anymore.Sneaky is on Wellness Limited Ingredient and Tux and Jack have been on Taste of the Wild for a long time.Looking for other options since I need to place an order soon but I don't know what to choose for dry food anymore!
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Yikes. I switched over to something called Hi-Tek Naturals a few months back because the woman at our local, small dog food store keeps on top of the production stuff. She lies it because it's made in a small plant, not one where lots of other foods are made. My dogs are doing well on it and it's the same price as TOTW. In case anyone is looking for options.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby YoungWinsk » Sat May 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Wow I checked my bag and have the only number faded on the production code is the 9th digit followed by an x! Luckily i'm pretty convinced its a 1 lol
YoungWinsk
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sat May 05, 2012 9:42 pm

I checked mine too, I just bought a bag of TOTW yesterday, and it wasn't one of the recalled numbers. Phew! Thanks for the alternative, Baby Reba, I was debating getting something else and couldn't decide what to get. I feed Susie Wellness and some of that was recalled too but not the regular Superfive mix. I hope they get this straightened out soon.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 pm

That's why I don't feed TOTW (tried it once, not that impressed with how the dogs did on it either) Diamond has a recall every year about one thing or another. Maybe you could say it's because there QC is good and they catch stuff, but I tend to think they should catch that stuff BEFORE it hits the sales floor and you are feeding it to your pets.
I feed By Nature, small New England company, produced in their own plant (no cross contamination) and, more important, no recalls.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I feed TOTW and have it delivered from PetFlow and put it in a medium Vittles Vault without keeping the bag (yeah, I know you're supposed to, but there's no room for the big Vault)... um. No ill-effects for me or for Booker. I might switch back to Natura products, but since commercially processed meats are the issue (for humans and other animals and the environment and and and) apparently I'll mostly need to work on my urban farming and flockkeeping.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Bambina23 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:15 am

I too have made the switch to Hi-Tek Naturals as well. It was recommended as a replacement for Taste a few weeks ago befero the re-call b/c Diamond wasnt sending anymore food out to my retailers ... gee I wonder why....
Bambina likes it and hasnt hasnt trouble with it
Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Odnarb » Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 pm

A couple of friends are recommending something called NutriSource. The grain free is about the same price on Petflow. Anybody heard of them?

via tapatalk on a rooted nook tablet
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Here's another update, to correct the info put out originally on Fri-Sat.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... l-summary/

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby AmberD » Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 pm

Odnarb wrote:A couple of friends are recommending something called NutriSource. The grain free is about the same price on Petflow. Anybody heard of them?

NutriSource is becoming very prevalent around here, very heavily marketed in/by the independent shops. I've never tried it because I am not entirely impressed with the quality/value ratio. The food looks ok, no red flags, but not great (their Pure Vita line is better, but still)... and it's kind of expensive for what it is/isn't. Obviously, that's just my opinion, and I'm kind of biased in that I have always fed Diamond-produced foods, which tend to be really cheap for the quality of the ingredient list (30lbs of TOTW for $38.99), so I have some pocket-digging to do if I want to switch from Diamond foods after this fiasco. I think I've mentioned this in a couple threads already, maybe even this one, but Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural is what I went to from TOTW for the higher calories, but price is still comparable, and the company seems great. I'd consider them, too.

My cats are on a half wet (Felidae) and half dry (TOTW) diet... I plan on sticking with the Felidae for now, but I am trying to look into other grain-free kibble that doesn't break the bank. I am switching my Akita from Diamond Naturals, though... I am looking at Fromm and a couple other brands.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Odnarb » Sun May 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Where are you getting TOTW for $39???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun May 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Odnarb wrote:Where are you getting TOTW for $39???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I get mine for around $37 from Shasta Farm & Equipment/Shasta Feed in Cottonwood :P
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:37 pm

PBF lurker wrote:Ugh, I've fed four recalled bags lately. I keep my empty bags a while just in case of something like this. Looks like I'll be sending in for a few vouchers!

(2) High Prarie
(1) Pacific Stream
(1) Canine Wetlands

Crap, looks like I need to start keeping my bags. No problems noticed with the dogs or myself so far, guess I'll just have to be diligent about handwashing in the mornings...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 pm

BabyReba wrote:Yikes. I switched over to something called Hi-Tek Naturals a few months back because the woman at our local, small dog food store keeps on top of the production stuff. She lies it because it's made in a small plant, not one where lots of other foods are made. My dogs are doing well on it and it's the same price as TOTW. In case anyone is looking for options.

This is all well and good, but its equally likely to get salmonella contamination as any other dog food, and if its a small company, chances are even better if there is contamination, it will NOT be caught. This is one of the reasons larger pet food companies are safer than small companies.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues