Question about Dasuquin

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Question about Dasuquin

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi,

I have been giving Blu Gyco Flex 3 since his surgery. However, the maintenance dose is 1/2 tablet for his size, and it's a royal pain to chop those suckers in half perfectly.

Anyway, I did some research and I see that Dasuquin is the front runner in this area with the addition of ASU. But, if so, why is it only 800mg of glucosamine? I thought the dogs in Blu's weight range should receive 1,200mg. Am I wrong?

http://www.allivet.com/p-1584-dasuquin- ... 4Aod8nbrpA

Has anyone used this Dasuquin? What makes it so great/expensive?
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Re: Question about Dasuquin

Postby PitFriend » Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I don't know how the ingredients compare with other brands, b/c I've never used anything other than Dasuquin (except Cosequin, which is the same company and I'm not sure they make anymore). But the stuff has always worked well for my dogs. I gave it regularly to my chocolate lab for several years when arthritis in her elbows and hips got very bad, and I believe it made a big difference in helping to keep her mobile and comfortable. I give it now to Riley, my 10 year old pit bull, to keep the stiffness out of her joints. But this isn't to say that other, less expensive brands couldn't do the same thing... I get a discount on it from my vet, have been satisfied with the results, and just haven't had reason to try anything else.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I have never used Dosuquin, but have used Cosequin with 3 of my cats over the years with good results.

Khan is on Osteo-Biflex and my holistic vet just added Ligaplex II to his regime.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Love Dasuquin. However, Cosemin ASU is *exactly* the same in capsule form, and much cheaper. I confirmed this with Nutramax (make of both products)
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby IloveBlu » Tue May 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I didn't realize Cosemin was for humans. How do you figure the dosage?
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby Shanda » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Just compared the two labels and did the math.
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Except the pet version is regulated by the FDA as a prescription drug... and the human product is not. This is the cost difference, and the guarrantee you are getting the quality control you expect.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 am

Being that they're both made by nutramax labs, that's a chance I'm comfortable taking.
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues