Dog Throwing up

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog Throwing up

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:10 am

my dog an apbt/american bulldog mix threw up her food last night and i mean ALOT when i brought her in she was fine.. I took her outside this morning to put her in her outdoor kennel again and she started eating grass and now she seems to be fine. she gets like that so often im not sure what it could be any idea's she was like this about 2 weeks ago but alot worse
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Re: Dog Throwing up

Postby MMSmith » Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 am

Sounds like she may need a trip to the vet to rule out medical issues. That being said, dogs have an extremely sensitive gag reflex, and their first reaction when they have a bellyache or minor issue is to throw up. Also, feeding her improperly can cause her to throw up (ie, allowing her to gobble up her food, or exercise right before or after eating.) There are a lot of factors involved, so why don't you post what you feed her, how often, how much, etc.
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm

i feed her 1 quart which is 1 bowl of purina dog chow once a day. i know its not the best quality food but its what all 3 of my dogs eat and its more affordable she has been eating purina since she was 3 months old.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Dog Throwing up

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Try feeding her twice or three times a day instead of all in one big meal.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm

she doesn't eat it all at 1 time i just put it in her outdoor kennel and she eats a few bites at a time. She only eats 1 time a day she wont eat any other time lol
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Dog Throwing up

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Sounds like you're free feeding.

Put 1/2 or 1/3 of hear daily portion of food into her bowl, give her 15 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, take it away and offer her it again at her next meal. It won't be long before she's eating when it's breakfast/lunch/dinner time.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Dog Throwing up

Postby mtlu » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Would still recommend vet visit since this sounds like a chronic thing. A friend of mine free feeds her dogs and throwing up every couple weeks is NOT part of their routine...
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Sounds like you're free feeding.

Put 1/2 or 1/3 of hear daily portion of food into her bowl, give her 15 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, take it away and offer her it again at her next meal. It won't be long before she's eating when it's breakfast/lunch/dinner time.

Even when Bailey was our only dog and free feeding was an option-we couldn't. She'd throw up this...foamy bile business and just be miserable afterwards. We found that if we fed her more often, and in smaller amounts (aka regulating the food for her) she did much better. So based on experience I second what Allison has said.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 pm

i do that so she can eat it when shes ready. since its easier then going outside all the time. i havent fed her yet today its 2:49 pm my dad said she might have gotten hold of a frog since their bad where her pen is
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Stormi » Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Is there a reason she's kept outside rather than inside? Do you not go out during the day to play with, exercise, or do any training with her? Have you considered moving her dog run since it's in a location with potentially hazzardous creatures?
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Courtneyd137 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm

i cant move it because its in the 1 level place in the yard i live on a hill and its a cemented slab is under the pen to keep her from digging and because i have 2 older dogs inside and she doesnt know how to leave them alone. ones 7 the other 14 i bring her in at night and yes i usually walk her everyday unless the neighbors pit bull is loose because he is extremley dog aggressive
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues