Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm

her point is not that it's immune to trouble, but that it's not made in a plant where 30 other foods are made, which means it's not going to be cross-contaminated by problems brought over from other foods that end up contaminated. so, no cross-contamination, basically. i guess time will tell.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby mtlu » Sun May 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I used to be able to buy TOTW (before they were bought out by Diamond) for around $40 for the 30lb bag. After they got bought, the prices creeped up and they average @$55 now.

I just looked at NutriSource because I had to buy more food for Molly. I've been rotating various non-beef formulas of Orijen and Acana for a while now and while I'm happy with all of the formulas we have tried so far, I also wanted to look at a grain-free and potato-free food for her to see how she does. The pet store I went to recommended NutriSource and I looked at the label and it seems like a reasonable food and while I didn't look at the price, the guy said it was pretty cheap compared to Orijen/Acana.

I didn't buy it because I wanted to look up who manufactures this food and it is by a company called Tuffy's Pet Foods - they only make pet food and only at their own plant in Minnesota. http://www.tuffyspetfoods.com/viewimage ... 14&catid=5

Their Tuffy's line of products look pretty scary (corn, wheat middlings, corn syrup) but the NutriSource doesn't look too bad. Just consider though that while this might be a smaller company, they still have multiple "house" brands.

At this point, if it is hard for me to find out information about where/what else a company manufactures, I will be less inclined to try the food out. Actually, that's one of the reasons I started getting TOTW before because they were a smaller company. While problems from a small company are less likely to get noticed, there is also a higher chance of cross contamination across multiple brands with larger manufacturers/plants and salmonella isn't the only thing to worry about.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 am

I went with Horizon for all dogs.They are a Canadian small company with their own production facility, that use human grade food, and I really like the ingredients and analysis of both food. I have only heard good things about them so far.Sneaky and Jack got the Legacy Grain Free Salmon (no potatoes) and Tux the Amicus Grain Free Senior . Both products have high protein and lower fat, with Tux's being at 10%. Not easy to find a high quality grain free kibble that is both high in protein and that low in fat, for dogs with Pancreatitis, and I am not comfortable feeding the RC prescription diet to him.

http://www.horizonpetfood.com/

Charlotte, if you are looking at potatoes free/grain feed kibble you might want to check out the Horizon Legacy Fish Formula too:
http://www.horizonlegacypetfood.com/legacy-dog.html
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I did not want to cross post text, so I will just post the link to the post. Since this post mentioned Kirkland, I wanted to tell everyone that his food was actually called Nature's Domain.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153262&p=2009951#p2009951

After reading a post from my co-worker I found a SPOOKED beyond belief dog lover this morning. He got a call from Costco on Saturday regarding his dog's food being a part of the recall. The fact that his dog got sick after starting to feed the last bag purchased and a couple of weeks later Murcie passed away, he is asking all kinds of questions. His wounds have been opened right back up.

True, it may not be related, but he did call the vet to make sure they were aware of the call he got. They spent time discussing what they did test for etc. and his vet as well as the ER vet both said it is not part of their protocol to check for salmonella. He was not so upset that it was not, (he does understand how that stuff works) but is sincerely hoping it is now; especially with the experience they shared in his heartbreak of sweet Murcie.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Odnarb wrote:Where are you getting TOTW for $39???

I swear I responded to this yesterday. I get mine from a little dollar store that specializes in pet supplies (about 1/3 of the floor space). Their prices are pretty awesome, and so looking at sites like Pet Flow, Pet Food Direct, etc just make me cringe. I went today to look at a couple brands of food, especially Fromm. I was surprised to see that they had a sign posted by the food that listed Suggested Retail AND Minimum Retail prices. I found it interesting that there was a minimum price, but I bought a bag to replace my Diamond Naturals anyway. I've been planning on getting off the Diamond Naturals, but I don't know if I'm going to completely give up on TOTW.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue May 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Stupid worries (and serious concerns) they give give us!! I use a vittles vault, too, but often save the last bag tucked away somewhere (I'm still on my first bag of Nature's Domain salmon) -- what peace of mind it was to be able to check it's codes this time!! Makes sense as a general rule to save the bag somewhere each time!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby IloveBlu » Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Red, how are your pups doing on Horizon? I am looking at it myself now, specifically Pulses.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 pm

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 pm

IloveBlu wrote:Red, how are your pups doing on Horizon? I am looking at it myself now, specifically Pulses.

Sorry, I have no feed back. I am actually waiting for the food, which was shipped out earlier today by Petflow.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm looking into Horizon's Pulsar line as well. There's a store near me that carries it, so I'm planning on picking up a bag tomorrow. I feel like the Legacy line might be overkill on the protein for my guy.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 am

my neighbor called me last night.( she works at a vet's office) she wanted to let me know the practice has had several sick dogs in the past week, they were all being feed Diamond foods.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Odnarb » Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 am

pblove wrote:my neighbor called me last night.( she works at a vet's office) she wanted to let me know the practice has had several sick dogs in the past week, they were all being feed Diamond foods.

What symptoms and which foods?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Megan » Sun May 13, 2012 3:49 pm

TOTW has been the one food Gavin has done extremely well on long term. Our bag was good, but I had to grab a different brand (I went with Blue Wilderness) as when I went back for another bag of TOTW the store had pulled every last bag on the shelf awaiting the production code lists... I haven't decided if I want to keep him on TOTW or not yet. I like the food, he's done amazing on it, his skin had cleared up, he's not vomitting or having the runs on this food.

I normally pay $45 for a 30lb bag at tractor supply, I can get it on sale once in a while for $40
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Stormi » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Our Horizon Pulsar has arrived!

I'm quite excited to see how Jack does on this food. And to boot the store that I've ordered it from is looking to stock it full time if we like it :)
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby ChevellesMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm keeping mine on TOTW. They do great on it.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues