OMG - the shedding!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

OMG - the shedding!!

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 am

is unbearable!! Can someone show me a pic of the brush(es) the use? I have a very dense white-haried brush - looks similar to a huuman but very dense = doesn't work.

I one bought (and returned) a rubber curry brush -- it had little cones instead of a continuous zig-zaggy wave as I have seen on others.

My clothes and my bed are catching the brunt - even carpet is covered in a fine layer of just dog hair! HELP?

I think it must just be seasonal tho the verdict is not out yet for me and the bad of Natures
Domain I'm feeding (half thru bag).
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: OMG - the shedding!!

Postby amalie79 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am

I've never found a good brush-- and how awfula re those little heairs when they get stuck in your foot!! it's like the worst splinter in the world!-- but do you ever feed coconut oil? River sheds like crazy, but she seems to be doing so less lately, since I introduced coconut oil to her diet...
amalie79
Newborn Bully

OMG - the shedding!!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 am

We use a shedding blade when Obi starts shedding seasonally:

AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 am

Hmmmm - I 'just' bought cocount oil but haven't figured out to do with it.... AND I do have a shedding blade but I haven't been able to make it work, either ...will get it out again and try. I'm such a grooming dud!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 am

We use a zoom groom on Austin and Roscoe, it works really well on their short fur. We use an undercoat rake on Susie, but she has long "malamutt" fur.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

OMG - the shedding!!

Postby mtlu » Thu May 10, 2012 10:58 am

I start with buffing Molly with a towel; then a regular metal flea comb to pick up lots of already loose hair; then the zoom groom or a boar bristle hair brush (that I used to use on me) that will stimulate circulation and loosen more fur; then finish with flea comb again since that seems to pick up loose fur the best.

Molly's fur is pretty soft all over and less that 1" long over 95% of her body. I think I would inadvertently cut her with a shedding blade since she is single coated, lol
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby amalie79 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I started with just a little coconut oil on their meals-- like 1/2 tsp maybe, once a day. Then I worked up to roughly a tablespoon once a day over the course of a few days. They gobble it up, and then I get to lick the spoon. :) And I cook with it myself, since it has no cholesterol (it doesn't make everything taste like coconut once it's heated up, but it is mighty tasty cold!!).
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 pm

i use a curry on brie that looks like this:
(not the exact one... mine was from the dollar store lol), the bristles pick up tons of fur, i personally dont like the zoom groom and its cone shaped bristles, i prefer this or a traditionally bristled curry.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback - I like that red 'curry' brush shape... Might look for something like that. I've already tasted the coconut oil -- YUM -- would it be too much 'oil' to feed a TBL/day on top of the 2 fish oil tabs I already feed?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby amalie79 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Thanks for the feedback - I like that red 'curry' brush shape... Might look for something like that. I've already tasted the coconut oil -- YUM -- would it be too much 'oil' to feed a TBL/day on top of the 2 fish oil tabs I already feed?

I've wondered the same thing... The way I've been handling it is that I feed one fish meal per week-- on Wednesdays, of Jack mackerel, salmon, eggs and yogurt/cottage cheese. Then I just do salmon oil 2-3 more days a week, but coconut oil every night.

I figure as long as everything was originally introduced slowly, then their digestive systems should tolerate that much oil, and each one is providing something a little different nutritionally. Whole Dog Journal had a good article about coconut oil in 2005, I think, if you have a sub to it.

And WalMart has a curry brush type surface on a giant cloth mitt for about $3...
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 my Zoom Groom, works well on both Dakota and Alice.
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-ZoomGroom-Do ... supplies_2
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 my Zoom Groom, works well on both Dakota and Alice.
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-ZoomGroom-Do ... supplies_2

That's similar to the one I bought and returned.... did nothing..... (maybe it was me?) :huh?:
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 pm

:dunno:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

OMG - the shedding!!

Postby ChevellesMomma » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 am

The Zoom Groom is spectacular. How did you use it?

You can also try getting the Furminator Treatment (NOT the brush) done at your local Petsmart grooming salon. I work there and it is amazing. I've done German Shepherds...Huskies...Chows...and they all continue coming because their shedding goes away for at least 2 weeks and is greatly reduced after that.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues