Pancreatitis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Pancreatitis

Postby Red » Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks all for the well wishes for Tux.
The decision to take him back in, as much as I hated it, can be summed up with this picture, which is all he could do when home, except puking:

Monday morning they called me in, to go try to feed him, and that's when I took the pic of him hooked up on IVs. He took food from me and shortly after he peed on himself a lot, he must have not been allowed to go out, since he was desperately try to get out of the door but he had the IV pole behind him.Between the fluids and the Prednisone he has to be allowed to pee frequently. I decided he would come home, with the agreement that if he did not eat he would go back for a feeding tube, unfortunately.He had enough of being there and so I did. He was tense and worried about everything.He was asking me to go, and I could not ignore it. He took some food, blood work was unremarkable, and also babesia NEGATIVE (another test done).

Came home and vomited right away, but that could have been the long ride so I let him rest and tried to give him some food later in the evening and his meds.Took a bit of food. Monday morning he wake up hungry and got several small meals during the day. This is how he was eating last night:

Today he ate even more, and drank and urinated a lot, which is a side effect of the Prednisone.I don't like the increase panting so I am hoping we can taper it down soon.He has an appointment in two weeks, at the same place, to discuss what is going on and re evaluate the steroid dosage. Meanwhile he has a number of things to help him that I picked up today:

Because he is still week and I don't want him to get worked up I modified an xpen and put it right where he can see us when we are in the kitchen or hear us if in another room. At least after meal time he has to settle in there with his classical music going.

I had some health problems myself so I am off all week and that way he can be monitored constantly. My husband will will take off the next, so he is not alone til we go to his appointment.Most people think that dogs are not capable of saying thank you but I assure you that it happens and this one did it clearly.I am hoping for the best for him, this has been hard on his little troubled soul.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 am

Oh that made me smile seeing his appetite up eagerly eating every last grain of rice he could put in his mouth. I am so glad he is home and it sounds like he is doing at least a little better. I'm glad he doesn't *have* to be in that horrid hospital anymore. Have you found another place to take him for his follow ups?
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 am

I'm glad he's feeling better!
Minor point, and you probably already know this, but baby food can have a ton of onion/garlic powder added which some dogs are very sensitive to... just check the label.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Red » Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:I'm glad he's feeling better!
Minor point, and you probably already know this, but baby food can have a ton of onion/garlic powder added which some dogs are very sensitive to... just check the label.

Thank you and yes, I am a big "label reader", especially in this moment. I don't normally buy baby food so I was surprised to see the onion powder added, in the jars I checked out.He has the Beech Nut brand.

He is urinating so much I don't know how he can keep fluids in his body.He soaked 4 dog beds last night and I woke up each time to him trying to groom himself. I don't think he has the time to warn me, it is like he just has to go. Had to bath him and continue to change bedding and this morning he peed 5 times within an hour, before i fed him the first meal.I am waiting on call from one of his Dr., to see if this is normal.I know that thirst and urination are some of the side effects but so much? He is on 10 mg. twice a day.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 pm

get well soon Tux :pray
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu May 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks.
We are cutting the evening Prednisone dosage to 5 mg at the mometn. The reaction is indeed excessive.Of course, it is Tux.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Val, are they ruling out pancreatitis? What are they thinking is going on? I've read through the thread but haven't really seen what they wee saying at this point.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby ajlmw » Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 pm

I am so terribly sorry about this. I just saw this news about your Tux and I am sending my best wishes and thoughts your way.
ajlmw
Newborn Bully

Pancreatitis

Postby Stormi » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 pm

It's good to hear that he and you are healing. Take care of yourselves. Have they officially diagnosed IBS over the other possibilities?
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Sat May 19, 2012 9:26 pm

How is Tux?
patty
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 pm

How much weight has special man lost? Wishing good thoughts!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun May 20, 2012 6:46 am

I just saw this thread, i'm so sorry, i'm sending good thoughts & prayers. Poor tux

How is he doing right now?
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby heartbullies » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm

How is the special little guy doing?!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Wed May 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I tried Nick briefly on steroids to deal with his arthritis and quit within a matter of days due to how frequently he needed to pee and the volume and his general uncomfortableness - obviously there are times they are needed but ya the pee- craaazy!!!

feel better tux.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmstaffMommy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am

Any updates on Tux?
AmstaffMommy
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues