Please pray for Boss

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please pray for Boss

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I know I don't post much here anymore but I just wanted to ask prayers and kind thoughts for my dog Boss. Some of you are on my FB so you know what we have been going through. Boss's horrible inbreeding and genetics have caught up with him alot earlier than we thought they would. He is having issues with his muscles and moving around. We went to the vet Monday and he got a shot of anti-inflamatory, pills for that as well, and an antibiotic. He is also on a glucosamine supplement. In the last 24 hours he has gone from almost immobile to moving and running like normal. Our vet told us to continue his exercise and today I took him to a friend who is a massage therapist. We are going back to the vet Friday for xrays and to see exactly what is going on inside his body. We will go from there.

I have promised him I will not give up on him, if he still has the fight in him I will never give up on him. So I just got in from my first day at my summer job, and we were approved for a small amount of Care Credit.

Please just keep my baby, and myself, in your thoughts. I have had knots in my belly since Sunday and I am just so scared of what all the problems could be.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Please pray for Boss

Postby patty » Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Praying for Boss that he will continue to improve :pray

Please keep us updated, I will be thinking of you.

:hug:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 am

Fingers crossed!!!

The anti-inflammatory prescription tablets (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, etc) can be expensive but work SO WELL assuming his liver/bloodwork looks good. Make sure you give them daily so the inflammation stays under control, rather than having to play 'catch-up.'

If he is on Rimadyl, there is now generic Rimadyl available. Your vet will have to write a prescription but most of the online pharmacies have it. It might need to be cut in half to get the right dosing, and some aren't liver flavored and will need to be wrapped in cheese, BUT the active ingredient is the same and the price is right!

You can buy human joint supplements-- generic Move Free or Osteo Bi-Flex. Just make sure it's Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and maybe MSM, hyaluronic acid, etc. Not the Vitamin D one! Usually Walgreens and so on will have the bottles as BOGO or BOGO 50% off. Again, you'll need to stick them in peanut butter or cheese but if it means affordable relief, whatever, right?

For oils, there are 2 kinds I know of that are good anti-inflammatories too. If you have a Trader Joe's near you they sell the white solid organic virgin coconut oil for $6. You wanna use the kind for cooking, not beauty supplies, health food stores sell it for ~10 a jar too. You start with half a tablespoon and then work up to a tablespoonand a day. Or get human fish oil/omega 3 caplets wherever you get the joint supplement, because these caps are also often part of the BOGO sale.

These are my only real cost saving tips but it can cut the monthly cost in half or more. Congrats on the new job, too! He is so young to be in so much pain. It's not the inbreeding itself that is the problem, but that someone bred dogs that were sick or had bad structure. It can happen even if the dogs aren't related. Good luck. Poor little dude.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby pblove » Wed May 16, 2012 10:08 am

:pray for the Boss Man!
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 am

For a lower cost NSAID, if that's what he needs, you can get human Meloxicam. It is the same drug as Metacam, only in small tablets. Roscoe's dosage was one sixth of one of the tablets, and I just put it on his food, he never noticed it. It was really inexpensive compared to prescription Derramax or Rimadyl. (thanks miss kiwi). I use Glycoflex II for all the dogs, and get three bags at a time from Entirely Pets or Healthy Pets, I think it's the same company, but it's pretty reasonable that way.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby heartbullies » Sat May 19, 2012 8:34 pm

How is he doing?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat May 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Much better. The vet thinks his initial symptoms were from some type of chemical or plant.

Xrays were good, a bit of joint issues in the right hip so he is on a supplement permanently.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat May 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Thinking of you guys.. Why aren't you posting anymore?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun May 20, 2012 5:23 am

HappyPuppy wrote:Thinking of you guys.. Why aren't you posting anymore?

X2 how is Boss doing? poor pup. How are the supplements working for him? You could also try fish oil.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun May 20, 2012 11:03 am

The supplements are helping alot right now. Just ready for him to finish the anti inflamatory meds because I am working full time this summer and he has to go pee a ton on these meds. So poor baby is outside in the heat (dog house on a tether) while I am at work :( I tried keeping him crated inside but even coming home on my lunch break he was in the kennel too long.

I have been very busy with school. Finished my Associates and graduated from Jr college and now full time at a Sr college and working full time this summer. Been very busy.

Boss has his 1st bday next saturday and we are having him a Bday party at my dads house :)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Tue May 22, 2012 6:39 am

Don't feel bad, i think he would rather be inside and not lay in his pee and be able to stretch his legs then sit inside the house in his crate when he peed by accident.

The whole busy with school thing i can so relate to, i'm busy with my last year IT studies, and its crazy managing study and dog care ;)

i'm glad to hear that boss is doing better, they are so sad when they are sick, and you are just as sick with them lol
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues