Prickly Heat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Prickly Heat?

Postby medic16 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 am

Okay so Roxy loves to lay in the sun, either outside or near the front door. She will lay in the sun until she is overheating and panting. This has happened once before, but she was laying outside on the concrete and I thought maybe she was bitten by some kind of bug and had an allergic reaction, so gave her some Benadryl PO and eventually the spots were gone.

Now it has happened again and I have noticed it is only on the side of her body that was in direct sunlight. I don't know if it is some form of prickly heat, which people usually get when they are sweating in the heat, I get it all the time at work in the summertime on my neck and arms.

She does not seem uncomfortable, she is not scratching it or biting at it.

Anyone have any insight? Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/ZLoSKh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZXS5eh.jpg
medic16
Newborn Bully

Re: Prickly Heat?

Postby bethh » Tue May 15, 2012 5:22 pm

My jack russel used to get those, vet said it could be a bug bite that caused an allergic reaction -- we gave her benedryl and then she just grew out of it.
bethh
Super Bully

Prickly Heat?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 15, 2012 7:26 pm

It looks like hives to me.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm

It looks like hives to me as well.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby medic16 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 pm

I thought hives also but they will go away without benadryl. She only gets them after laying in the sun but a lot of the time she is laying in the sun that comes through the front door, so she is inside the house on the floor. I've checked the area multiple times, no bugs.

I will consult the vet, I am surprised to hear no one has had a similar issues. I've noticed most of our dogs love the sun and heat plus the sensitive skin, I thought it might be something someone has seen before.
medic16
Newborn Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun May 20, 2012 5:25 am

Looks like hives to me. do you bath her with shampoo? or use wipes on her? or anything chemical? My dog gets that after i use babywipes on her and she lays in the sun it looks like the ingredients burn into her skin
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues