Dog..Itching Bald, raw place on back

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 am

out papillon she has fleas her back is bald and its turning red raw and sore.. We put some Flea stuff on her about 2 weeks ago which helped her and her hair started growing back and wont red but the medicine wore off and shes raw again HELP.. we cant put anything on her or give her any medicine for a whole month because of the other stuff we put on her what can i do
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Re: Dog..Itching Bald, raw place on back

Postby heartbullies » Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 am

I would bring her in to the vet. Treating FAD requires really good flea control (often in pill format) and sometimes some other pills to help with the swelling. You will have to be very consistent and she will always need careful management but it can be done. I have seen bald, bloody dogs with thick calloused scars from years of neglect get FAD relief and even grow much of their fur back.

While you are at the vet they can draw some blood from your dog that falls over and who takes aspirin, and make sure it's safe to prescribe a product like Rimadyl or Deramaxx so she can more comfortably walk. Make sure you tell the vet that you have been giving aspirin!

Good luck.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Sun May 20, 2012 11:12 am

Agreed re the vet. My Shepherd had a FAD attack once and she needed antibiotics and a steroid to help the spot heal even after the fleas were gone.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am

The vet can't give her any medicine because she has recently been treated with fiproguard and she can't get any other medicine until the 30th without having an overdose. I gave her a bath and rubbed Apple cider vinegar on her to see if that helps until she can get put on medicine and for the older dog we dont have all that much money right now we got to scrap up our last bit of money to take the papillon to the vet this month were on social security and were out of money at the end of the month.. My pit next month has got to have a heart worm and worm test next month to put her on heart guard.. to me $35 just to go in the vets office is a rip off cz half the time the vet does nothing bt looks and says o shes fine no treatment go home $35 for that seriously
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Stormi » Sun May 20, 2012 11:51 am

$35 for a vet visit is suspiciously cheap, actually. I don't think I've ever walked out from a basic check up for less than $50-$60. Given that this vet prescribes aspirin for arthritis and refuses to prescribe some ointment for a flea-bitten dog, and thinks a dog that has been vomiting off and on for three weeks is fine, I'd be seeking a new veterinarian. Even if you are on a budget, I understand how that goes, but it sounds like you're getting what you're paying for - subpar care.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 pm

shes not throwing up anymore and hasnt since so he was right she was fine and it wont the vet that said that it was an assistant but either way shes gotten better.. the reason we go there is sometimes office call is Free and sometimes he gives free medicine if were lucky. but i think 35 is a lil much for a 1 second look and send you out I think if it takes them any less then 5 minutes at a vet the office call should be free cuz they literally do nothing.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Sounds to me like she needs some antibiotics. Having a dog on multiple, but different, medications for skin issues is part of the routine.

I don't believe that your vet told you that she can't be on antibiotics or a steroid "without overdosing" because they are three separate classes of medications.

Also, didn't you just say less than three days ago that her skin was all better?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Stormi » Sun May 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Is this vet licensed?
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun May 20, 2012 1:18 pm

You can't give the same flea med BUT the vet should be able to give Capstar (oral med) and/or another type of topical flea med. For example some people give Frontline and Advantage 2 weeks apart from each other. I don't know what your dog got so you would need to ask the vet.
Plus your dog can get antibiotics and/or steroids because those have nothing to do with flea meds and can be given at the same time.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:31 pm

yeah it was better except for the bald part but the fleas started acting up again and she started biting her back again im thinking about getting her a cone collar until her back heals and put dog safe itch creme on her.. until we can get her on comfortis
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:33 pm

antibiotics wont do anything if shes still biting herself we have to get her to stop biting before we can get her antibiotics to heal it up.. Were going to try to scrap the last of our money together to take her to the vet well just have to starve for the rest of the month cz were almost out of food and money taking her to the vet will use the last bit we have
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Maybe you should consider rehoming your dogs since it is obvious you can't provide even basic care.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:36 pm

because this month we had to pay the house payment and it put us short on cash. Were Taking her to the vet tomorrow i just said that... I said we have to use the last of our money and well have to starve but were caring her. Hopefully the vet can at least get her an E collar to keep her from biting and how is it our fault the flea medication didnt work long for her.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I cant rehome her because shes not technically OUR DOG shes my cousins she left her here for a while when she moved out and never came back to take her. So i can't rehome her
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 20, 2012 3:57 pm

You shouldn't have to choose between food and your dogs basic needs.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues