Dog..Itching Bald, raw place on back

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Dog..Itching Bald, raw place on back

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Usually we have more money but i spent $50 on flea treatment for our 3 dogs which didnt help this dog very long at all. Shes back to the way she was before we treated her. We had to pay our house bill, and i payed about $50 getting a fish aquariam and stuff not thinking we would need to care a dog to the vet.. They dont go to the vet that often because they are generally healthy and never really need to go except for nail clips and stuff.. I have a question my dogs nails are overgrown but we cant afford to have them cut 2morrow we were going to wait about 2 weeks when we will have more money to afford to get all of our dogs done at the same time. If the vet says she needs it done and we tell them we cant afford it at the moment will they call animal control for refusing vet care. I heard they can thats what im worried about because we are going to get them done but in 2 weeks
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sun May 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:Usually we have more money but i spent $50 on flea treatment for our 3 dogs which didnt help this dog very long at all. Shes back to the way she was before we treated her. We had to pay our house bill, and i payed about $50 getting a fish aquariam and stuff not thinking we would need to care a dog to the vet.. They dont go to the vet that often because they are generally healthy and never really need to go except for nail clips and stuff.. I have a question my dogs nails are overgrown but we cant afford to have them cut 2morrow we were going to wait about 2 weeks when we will have more money to afford to get all of our dogs done at the same time. If the vet says she needs it done and we tell them we cant afford it at the moment will they call animal control for refusing vet care. I heard they can thats what im worried about because we are going to get them done but in 2 weeks

FAD needs constant maintenance to ensure the dog doesn't end up bald, itchy and raw again. You can't just treat them once and call it good - they need year-round treatment, and sometimes a steroid or antibiotic when they are itchy and raw. Plus, many FAD have other allergies.

My FAD (13-year-old beagle mix) is on a salmon-based diet to help her skin and coat, plus regular flea treatment, plus benedryl if she has a flare because she's allergic to more than fleas (knock on wood, she hasn't had an allergy flare in some time).

And, you must treat every animal in the house, plus the house itself. It takes three months for a flea infestation to be eliminated through treatment of the animals.
chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Yeah i admit i did skip a few months of her comfortis because we couldnt afford it for a few months but we switched to this other stuff thats cheaper in the long run 3 month suppy $27 it worked for about 3 weeks and wore off i can no longer treat her again until the 30th and her back still hasnt healed completly her hair was growing back but it started up again were caring her to the vet tomorrow to get itch cream or something prolly n e collar (cone) and maybe more flea stuff if its safe to treat her now
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:Yeah i admit i did skip a few months of her comfortis because we couldnt afford it for a few months but we switched to this other stuff thats cheaper in the long run 3 month suppy $27 it worked for about 3 weeks and wore off i can no longer treat her again until the 30th and her back still hasnt healed completly her hair was growing back but it started up again were caring her to the vet tomorrow to get itch cream or something prolly n e collar (cone) and maybe more flea stuff if its safe to treat her now

The cheap stuff isn't going to cut it for a dog with FAD...
chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun May 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:Yeah i admit i did skip a few months of her comfortis because we couldnt afford it for a few months but we switched to this other stuff thats cheaper in the long run 3 month suppy $27 it worked for about 3 weeks and wore off i can no longer treat her again until the 30th and her back still hasnt healed completly her hair was growing back but it started up again were caring her to the vet tomorrow to get itch cream or something prolly n e collar (cone) and maybe more flea stuff if its safe to treat her now

So how exactly is it the vet's fault that your dog is suffering from itchy, uncomfortable and likely painful ongoing FAD?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:01 pm

because the flea medicine we got for her 3 weeks ago didnt HELP.. and now we cant treat her until the 30th. were going to care her into the vet 2morrow at 1:30 pm and get something for her.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:02 pm

we thought it would work because it worked for my cousins dog and hes also got FAD but it didnt so were taking her in 2morrow to get checked out.
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sun May 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, hopefully the veterinarian can give your poor dog something. I remember my veterinarian has told people to use Advantage/Advantix every 3 weeks in some cases.

Your dog needs a consistent flea treatment - that is the only way she is going to heal and stay healthy.

If your parents alone can't afford it, is there a way you can supplement your income? A part-time job, or mowing lawns, or something?
chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:16 pm

im looking for jobs now.. Their not really my parents their my grandparents but ive been thinking they were my parents until a few months ago so i still call them my parents
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Chins ill come back and post what the vet said and did
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby amelie » Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 am

One reason I'm so glad to live where I do- no fleas! We have other things like mosquitos as big as small birds but they are not that bad....
amelie
Matured Bully

Postby Courtneyd137 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 am

where do you live
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully

Postby amelie » Mon May 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Interior Alaska
amelie
Matured Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 am

chinsNdobermans wrote:
Courtneyd137 wrote:Usually we have more money but i spent $50 on flea treatment for our 3 dogs which didnt help this dog very long at all. Shes back to the way she was before we treated her. We had to pay our house bill, and i payed about $50 getting a fish aquariam and stuff not thinking we would need to care a dog to the vet.. They dont go to the vet that often because they are generally healthy and never really need to go except for nail clips and stuff.. I have a question my dogs nails are overgrown but we cant afford to have them cut 2morrow we were going to wait about 2 weeks when we will have more money to afford to get all of our dogs done at the same time. If the vet says she needs it done and we tell them we cant afford it at the moment will they call animal control for refusing vet care. I heard they can thats what im worried about because we are going to get them done but in 2 weeks

FAD needs constant maintenance to ensure the dog doesn't end up bald, itchy and raw again. You can't just treat them once and call it good - they need year-round treatment, and sometimes a steroid or antibiotic when they are itchy and raw. Plus, many FAD have other allergies.

My FAD (13-year-old beagle mix) is on a salmon-based diet to help her skin and coat, plus regular flea treatment, plus benedryl if she has a flare because she's allergic to more than fleas (knock on wood, she hasn't had an allergy flare in some time).

And, you must treat every animal in the house, plus the house itself. It takes three months for a flea infestation to be eliminated through treatment of the animals.

This :goodpost:

My german shepard with flea allergy's needs costant washing and treatment with steroids and antihistamines to keep her skin looking good, also hydrocortison cream to apply on the places where the skin turned red and antibiotics when we have a flare up, sadly i had a flare up with her flea allergy's since i got fleas in the house, alot of cleaning the house and treating the house is what you need. second, when i went to the vet i already spend 82.95 dollars treating with antibiotics,creams and steriods. Then another 51 dollar to get flea treatment for on the (2) dogs and the house. pets are expensive if your doing it right.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 am

Yep! I've had my 12 year old dog for less than 4 years and I've spent over $10000 on her in vet bills alone.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues