Bad tooth, what do you think?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Bad tooth, what do you think?

Postby MissKitty » Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 pm

heartbullies wrote:That's awesome and so reassuring! It's so nice to find a good practitioner you feel comfortable with, whether for you or for your dog.

The price is great, too. The quotes from vets I trusted here for cleaning and extraction were almost double through triple that range.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

It was actually more reasonable than I thought it would be (though not exactly in my budget).
When I got the estimate she had a full sheet of exactly how everything added up, which was really nice. It is easier to swallow $400-700 when you can see exactly what it is going towards.
She also divided the list into necessities (like pre-surgery blood work and anesthesia) and optional procedures(like cleaning the rest of the teeth and a take home cleaner).
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 pm

The price is on par for what we paid here in Seattle to have Sadie's molar removed. No teeth were cleaned and no xrays were taken though, because we knew it had to be removed (slab fracture). It was $600 all said and done. It was a really big molar though.

I hope My SuperStar feels better soon! <3
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Surgery appointment set for May 22nd!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Good luck handsome!!!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby mommy2kane » Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 am

Nichole wrote:The price is on par for what we paid here in Seattle to have Sadie's molar removed. No teeth were cleaned and no xrays were taken though, because we knew it had to be removed (slab fracture). It was $600 all said and done. It was a really big molar though.

We're in the Northern VA/DC area and it was around $500 for Risk's molar extraction. Same thing -- huge molar (took quite a bit to get out), but that included the x-ray. No teeth cleaning, no pre-surgery bloodwork, and she didn't charge for using the bone graft she had that she used to fill the hole.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Well, the tooth came out on its own today. It was deader than a door nail.

I just finished up visiting the emergency vet, they said he is doing well but may still have part of a root in there so needs an x-ray and possibly surgery. I got some antibiotics from them.
I called his regular vet and left a message and will call the again in the morning.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm

And he is in surgery right now to have the root removed, the vet said it should be quick and easy!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby heartbullies » Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Yay! Goodbye nasty root!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Kat, did they do full-mouth dental rads? Just curious because Buddy had a tooth that died and fell out and when she went under to have the roots removed, they did dental rads and found she had resorptive lesions in 15 teeth so they had to be extracted. A year before when she was under to have her fractured canine teeth removed, we didn't do rads and I wish we had because we could have done everything at once!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Kat, did they do full-mouth dental rads? Just curious because Buddy had a tooth that died and fell out and when she went under to have the roots removed, they did dental rads and found she had resorptive lesions in 15 teeth so they had to be extracted. A year before when she was under to have her fractured canine teeth removed, we didn't do rads and I wish we had because we could have done everything at once!

I am not positive but I think they just did digital rads of that one area, I wouldn't even have thought to ask for full mouth!
I will give them a call in the morning and see what exactly they x-rayed. His other teeth look impeccable, this they think was a result of trauma and he is a young dog so they might not have even thought of it.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm sure it's nothing, especially seeing as resorptive lesions are really uncommon in dogs! I just always think it's worth doing dental rads while they're under anyways.

Hope he's feeling okay!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I'm sure it's nothing, especially seeing as resorptive lesions are really uncommon in dogs! I just always think it's worth doing dental rads while they're under anyways.

Hope he's feeling okay!

I hope so! They did ask if I wanted anything else x-rayed or anything done while he was out and cooperative and I couldn't think of anything.

He is doing pretty well, anesthesia seems to hit him pretty hard though. He just lays down and whines or wanders aimlessly and is really confused. I have been sitting on his bed all day trying to get him to relax.
He is really disoriented, when I rode in the back seat of the car with him he tried to jump out of the closed window and smashed his face. He also refuses to walk on the grass when I take him out to see if he needs to potty. Poor guy :(
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Poor guy. :( Buddy struggles with recovery post-op too. Hopefully once he gets a good nights sleep, he will be back to his normal self tomorrow.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues