Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby pblove » Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 am

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... nella.html

another Diamond Plant with salmonella issues, prolly going to be more recalls I would guess.
User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 15676
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Odnarb » Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I'd be curious as to what would happen if other plants, including non-Diamond facilities, were inspected. I suspect that this is a common issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Odnarb
Regulator
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Northwest Iowa

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby starrlamia » Sun May 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Odnarb wrote:I'd be curious as to what would happen if other plants, including non-Diamond facilities, were inspected. I suspect that this is a common issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I would like to know that as well

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7392
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Timas Mom » Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 am

I cant believe how many people are STILL going to feed food made by a company that has had several recalls. That has killed/sickened pets

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... ssues.html

And if there has been animal fat and digest there, where the hell is it going?
User avatar
Timas Mom
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Langley BC

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon May 21, 2012 11:40 am

Timas Mom wrote:I cant believe how many people are STILL going to feed food made by a company that has had several recalls. That has killed/sickened pets

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... ssues.html

And if there has been animal fat and digest there, where the hell is it going?


I havent found anything else that is inexpensive but good... I was feeding kirkland, and just went to nutra nuggets, because when i asked for advice on here the day i needed food, hardly anyone replied, and no one made any suggestions. It wasnt untill after i got nutra nuggets that someone said they are also made by diamond.

On my budget, i need to stick to something that is 30 bucks for a 40 pound bag. She did amazing on kirkland and shes had it the whole 3 years ive had her. Shes got a strong stomach and no known food allergies, so im not worried about changing her food yet again. Its really sad, how hard it is to find good food for our pets that isnt outrageously over priced and super expensive.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm
Location: Central Cali

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Curly_07 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:57 pm

I've changed to Penicale (sp?) The salmon formula. My pet store helped me find the closest thing to TOTW that wasn't made by diamond. So far the girls are doing good on it, but I'm only 2 weeks into the bag. We will see...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
User avatar
Curly_07
Regulator
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Fairfax Station, VA

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Timas Mom » Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Shutterwolf wrote:
Timas Mom wrote:I cant believe how many people are STILL going to feed food made by a company that has had several recalls. That has killed/sickened pets

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... ssues.html

And if there has been animal fat and digest there, where the hell is it going?


I havent found anything else that is inexpensive but good... I was feeding kirkland, and just went to nutra nuggets, because when i asked for advice on here the day i needed food, hardly anyone replied, and no one made any suggestions. It wasnt untill after i got nutra nuggets that someone said they are also made by diamond.

On my budget, i need to stick to something that is 30 bucks for a 40 pound bag. She did amazing on kirkland and shes had it the whole 3 years ive had her. Shes got a strong stomach and no known food allergies, so im not worried about changing her food yet again. Its really sad, how hard it is to find good food for our pets that isnt outrageously over priced and super expensive.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2



But its obviously NOT GOOD! Its made by a shady company with substandard procedures. I don't understand how people can risk their pets health to save $10-20 month. If you cant afford to feed a food to your pet you shouldn't have one. And if it sounds too good to be true, it is. You don't get a great food with any decent quality protein for $30 for 40lbs......thats like 20 cents a lb cost to make ( and thats being really generous!)..what do you really think you are going to get for 20 cents? The packaging costs more than the food!!!
User avatar
Timas Mom
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Langley BC

Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby ChevellesMomma » Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Timas Mom wrote:
Shutterwolf wrote:
Timas Mom wrote:I cant believe how many people are STILL going to feed food made by a company that has had several recalls. That has killed/sickened pets

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articl ... ssues.html

And if there has been animal fat and digest there, where the hell is it going?


I havent found anything else that is inexpensive but good... I was feeding kirkland, and just went to nutra nuggets, because when i asked for advice on here the day i needed food, hardly anyone replied, and no one made any suggestions. It wasnt untill after i got nutra nuggets that someone said they are also made by diamond.

On my budget, i need to stick to something that is 30 bucks for a 40 pound bag. She did amazing on kirkland and shes had it the whole 3 years ive had her. Shes got a strong stomach and no known food allergies, so im not worried about changing her food yet again. Its really sad, how hard it is to find good food for our pets that isnt outrageously over priced and super expensive.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2



But its obviously NOT GOOD! Its made by a shady company with substandard procedures. I don't understand how people can risk their pets health to save $10-20 month. If you cant afford to feed a food to your pet you shouldn't have one. And if it sounds too good to be true, it is. You don't get a great food with any decent quality protein for $30 for 40lbs......thats like 20 cents a lb cost to make ( and thats being really generous!)..what do you really think you are going to get for 20 cents? The packaging costs more than the food!!!


Seriously? WOW. This are the exact sort of bigoted posts that made me cringe. I am going to continue feeding my dogs TOTW. Why? Because they do AMAZING on it. They thrive on it. So they had a recall, okay. They made a mistake. I'm not going to stop buying because of that. They make good and nutritional dog food. If you want to stop buying, that is your choice to do so. But don't you dare bash owners that are going to continue feeding it like you're some high and mighty dog food feeder...really? I'm not trying to be rude, but that is just plain mean and bigoted. I didn't appreciate this sort of post at all. And, I wonder the same thing that was wondered above...if we could see the inspection report for all sorts of different dog food companies, I bet they would turn out looking very similar.

And btw, I have 4 dogs. So switching to something that may or may not do good on for me, is a big deal.
User avatar
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Odnarb » Mon May 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Timas Mom wrote:But its obviously NOT GOOD! Its made by a shady company with substandard procedures. I don't understand how people can risk their pets health to save $10-20 month. If you cant afford to feed a food to your pet you shouldn't have one. And if it sounds too good to be true, it is. You don't get a great food with any decent quality protein for $30 for 40lbs......thats like 20 cents a lb cost to make ( and thats being really generous!)..what do you really think you are going to get for 20 cents? The packaging costs more than the food!!!



There aren't many companies that haven't had a recall. They can happen to the best of companies due to a mistake or chance.

Out of curiosity, which foods do you recommend?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Odnarb
Regulator
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Northwest Iowa

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Red » Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Timas Mom wrote: You don't get a great food with any decent quality protein for $30 for 40lbs......thats like 20 cents a lb cost to make ( and thats being really generous!)..what do you really think you are going to get for 20 cents? The packaging costs more than the food!!!


Agreed. I am feeding Horizon Legacy and Amicus at the moment (Horizon), what is your opinion on this food?
User avatar
Red
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 9630
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon May 21, 2012 3:22 pm

When I got my dog, I had a job, and Kirkland came HIGHLY recommended. Since then I became unemployed but I've always been able to feed my dog since Kirkland wasn't very expensive, and she did amazingly well on it. I would be even worse of a pet owner if I just ditched my dog because I cant feed her some overpriced food. I'm trying to do better for her food wise with what I got. If that makes me a bad owner who shouldn't have a dog, then you are a complete idiot. Nothing pisses me off more then when someone implies that I'm not taking proper care of my dog. Especially when its for some ridiculous reason like that...
User avatar
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm
Location: Central Cali

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Courtneyd137 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:54 pm

so your saying just because you cant afford the best quality food you shouldnt have a dog. AT LEAST PEOPLE FEED THEIR DOGS,, Im feeding my dog a bad quality food but she couldnt be happier
Courtneyd137
Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon May 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Courtneyd137 wrote:so your saying just because you cant afford the best quality food you shouldnt have a dog. AT LEAST PEOPLE FEED THEIR DOGS,, Im feeding my dog a bad quality food but she couldnt be happier


:goodpost: I couldn't agree more! Shelly has been super happy with Kirkland, and shes just fine on Nutra Nuggets as well. I have had soooo many compliments on how shiny and soft her coat is and how great she looks over the years from eating nothing but Kirkland. I was simply asking for a better brand of food around the same price range. My dog would be happier eating bottom of the line crap food with me, then anything else with someone else... Shes the one who picked me after all.
User avatar
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm
Location: Central Cali

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't think people should take on animals if they cannot afford to feed them proper nutrition. Would it not be irresponsible to have a kid and only afford top ramen?

Dogs didn't ask to be brought into our lives. We brought them. I want them to live healthily, not lose a few years off their life.


If you can't afford quality food, then you're going to be screwed if a surprise vet bill comes along.

I'm iffy/okayish with Kirkland for low income,but, if possible better food should be given. Ain't going to change now obviously, but one should take if as a lesson for future dogs. ;)

Sorry, I don't like sugar coating.
User avatar
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 4614
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Anderson, California

Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby ChevellesMomma » Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I don't think people should take on animals if they cannot afford to feed them proper nutrition. Would it not be irresponsible to have a kid and only afford top ramen?

Dogs didn't ask to be brought into our lives. We brought them. I want them to live healthily, not lose a few years off their life.


If you can't afford quality food, then you're going to be screwed if a surprise vet bill comes along.

I'm iffy/okayish with Kirkland for low income,but, if possible better food should be given. Ain't going to change now obviously, but one should take if as a lesson for future dogs. ;)

Sorry, I don't like sugar coating.


I agree with this in a way, but whether Diamond brands are good quality food is a matter of opinion, not fact. To say that someone shouldn't have dogs because they feed their dogs TOTW or Kirkland is an extremely ignorant and idiotic statement to make. Also, some dogs do just as well on crap food as they do on high quality. My parents feed their dogs Purina, and they do excell. Anything else makes them sick and my parents take great care of their dogs.
User avatar
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 am

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests