Questions about shots

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Questions about shots

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 pm

A friend that i used to work with called me earlier today & told me about a puppy she had been given by another friend. She said it is 6 months old & some kind of mixed up mutt. It has never been examined by a vet :( or had any shots & she was wondering if she could give it a 5 way shot (idk what that is). Until she can afford to take it to the vet. I stressed the importance of the puppy being seen by a vet & places that are willing to work with you in a financial struggle, but she got a little upset & simply wanted me to find out if the pup was too old to give it those shots for now. So i turned to PBF for advice. Because a vet visit was the only thing i could come up with lol. Does anyone have any advice, answers, suggestions to give her, For the sake of this poor little puppy? Is the puppy too old to have these shots already? Any advice on safely admisterning them?
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Questions about shots

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 pm

So I'm assuming she would get the vaccine at her local farm store, and if that's the case I'd say there's more risk of harm then benefit. The vaccine might be expired, might not be stored properly or the pup might have a vaccine reaction.

Also, vaccinating a sick animal is never a good idea so until she can have a thorough check up by a veterinarian, I wouldn't vaccinate.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Questions about shots

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Also, no the puppy isn't too old for those boosters, that's actually what he should be getting, plus a rabies vaccine, but from a licensed vet.

Good luck!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Questions about shots

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

thanks for the info allison. My thoughts exactally when she mentioned the local feed store. Might as well give it an injection of water. Because for all she knows, it could be just about as useful.
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I would imagine a vaccine from a feed store is better than having absolutely no protection against parvo and distemper, but her money is better spent at her veterinarian if she can swing it.

Her dog is currently illegal without a rabies vaccine, and vaccinating when sick is about the worst thing she can do. If she can't afford to take care of its medical needs, it should go to the shelter.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 am

Check out local humane societies and shelters; where I live you can get the rabies vaccine plus the 5 way (distemper, hepatitis, parvo, parainfluenza, lepto) for $25 at several shelters. It doesn't replace seeing the vet of course, but at least you know the vaccine has been stored properly and is given by an veterinary technician; much better than doing it yourself. Thanks for helping out this puppy :)
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu May 17, 2012 9:32 pm

http://www.homewardtrails.org/resources/pets/low-cost-spay-neuter-vets

Maybe try some of the places listed on the above site. If they are too far, they should be able to refer to someone closer.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 pm

thank you for all the information. I convinced her to let me take the puppy to our vet & i paid for the initial visit, flea meds, all shots & de-wormer. Plus started a tab for a few hundred $. For future care of the puppy. It put a HUGE dent in my budget, but i do feel better that i know its taken care of the right way.
abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm

You're a good person for doing that :)
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Questions about shots

Postby nsbullylover » Tue May 22, 2012 5:34 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:You're a good person for doing that :)

X2! Bless you!
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby julie64 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 pm

You are awesome! Lucky pup to having you looking out for him(?)
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues