Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby Murfins » Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 pm

starrlamia wrote:TBH I think there are worse things someone can do with a pet then feed them not as good food. Ideally a food without tons of filler should be fed, but sometimes circumstances dont allow for that and saying someone should not own dogs because maybe they lost their job or are going through rough times is ludicrous and mean.

:goodpost:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I feed hills j/d (gasp!) and my dogs do better on it than they did on Orijen (during which Buddy's bloodwork indicated renal disease), California Naturals, Wellness Core, Prairie Salmon, etc. And right now, due to her recent bout of HGE/pancreatitis, they are eating Purina Gastro EN, then we will switch back to j/d.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Timas Mom » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

I think the point of my post has been lost.
The food based on ingredients seems fine, THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM IS KILLING PETS
Diamond is killing cats and dogs, making humans sick and its not the first time.

Its when that is apparent and people STILL want to feed the food because its the best they can afford boggles my mind. When your budget allows for such little choice and you go with a company that has a horrible records I do not understand.

I didnt mention high protein foods, I mentioned foods that actually have some meat in them. I mentioned that companies without recalls and make their own food make a wiser choice AND that they are not necessarily more expensive.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:
Celesteandthebullies wrote:I don't think people should take on animals if they cannot afford to feed them proper nutrition. Would it not be irresponsible to have a kid and only afford top ramen?

Dogs didn't ask to be brought into our lives. We brought them. I want them to live healthily, not lose a few years off their life.

If you can't afford quality food, then you're going to be screwed if a surprise vet bill comes along.

I'm iffy/okayish with Kirkland for low income,but, if possible better food should be given. Ain't going to change now obviously, but one should take if as a lesson for future dogs. ;)

Sorry, I don't like sugar coating.

I agree with this in a way, but whether Diamond brands are good quality food is a matter of opinion, not fact. To say that someone shouldn't have dogs because they feed their dogs TOTW or Kirkland is an extremely ignorant and idiotic statement to make. Also, some dogs do just as well on crap food as they do on high quality. My parents feed their dogs Purina, and they do excell. Anything else makes them sick and my parents take great care of their dogs.

Why are you saying this to me? ... I feed my dogs TOTW. Maybe you got me confused with someone else?

Possibly, sorry! Haha
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Enigma wrote:
And another thing... Grain free foods have been imported to our country just a couple of years ago, here foods like Purina Pro Plan, Hill's Science Diet, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Tehni-Cal and similar foods are still considered very high quality, most dog owners feed them and dogs do well on them. Go figure.

So yeah, I can agree with having high standars and feeding your dog the best food possible, but I think saying that 4 star dog foods or even some of the 3 star dog foods are total crap and people who feed them shouldn't own dogs is going a bit too far IMO. :dunno:

Great post!
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Timas Mom wrote:I think the point of my post has been lost.
The food based on ingredients seems fine, THE COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM IS KILLING PETS
Diamond is killing cats and dogs, making humans sick and its not the first time.

Its when that is apparent and people STILL want to feed the food because its the best they can afford boggles my mind. When your budget allows for such little choice and you go with a company that has a horrible records I do not understand.

I didnt mention high protein foods, I mentioned foods that actually have some meat in them. I mentioned that companies without recalls and make their own food make a wiser choice AND that they are not necessarily more expensive.

Please show me where Diamond has killed a dog?

My dogs do great on TOTW, please give me a good reason why I should change it. Because your posts are offensive and just plain rude.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 pm

ChevellesMomma wrote:

My dogs do great on TOTW, please give me a good reason why I should change it. Because your posts are offensive and just plain rude.

ChevellesMomma...Really?! Multiple Diamond plants are responsible for making these foods that are killing cats, dogs, and making humans ill due to salmonella poisoning. Have you not read anything about this in the last month?
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 pm

ChevellesMomma wrote:Please show me where Diamond has killed a dog?
Not hard to get that info:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/ns/health-pet_health/t/toxic-pet-food-may-have-killed-dozens-dogs/

I personally would stop feeding foods produced by Diamond after so many recalls. But then again, there are only a couple of foods made by them imported into our country and I've only tried TOTW once, it didn't work for my dogs.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Murfins » Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 pm

ChevellesMomma wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls That's just the 2007 recall related deaths.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I was genuinely asking to please show me where Diamond has killed a dog, because I have not seen or looked up anything on past recalls. If you thought it was me being sarcastic, I'm sorry that you interpreted it incorrectly. This recent recall though, did not result in the death of any dogs.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby mtlu » Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 pm

pblove wrote:Diamond expanded it's recall after one sick cat, one sick care giver and two cats died at a shelter in Montreal after eating Diamond cat food.
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/v ... -dead.aspx

This was posted earlier in the thread.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 pm

ChevellesMomma wrote:I was genuinely asking to please show me where Diamond has killed a dog, because I have not seen or looked up anything on past recalls. If you thought it was me being sarcastic, I'm sorry that you interpreted it incorrectly. This recent recall though, did not result in the death of any dogs.

Well not yet. But previous ones have. Im sorry you find me rude, I just dont understand your rationelle.
They have killed pets=fact
Its happened more than once=fact
They get sited by the fda for mishandling of ingredients that arent even listed in ANY of the foods they are to be making =fact (and where the hell ARE they using it?)

I dont know what it would take for you to see my point. If you do like TOTW so much, demand they use a better plant! One that doesnt completely fail at every turn. One that has a decent track record. One that hasnt killed pets.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Timas Mom wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:I was genuinely asking to please show me where Diamond has killed a dog, because I have not seen or looked up anything on past recalls. If you thought it was me being sarcastic, I'm sorry that you interpreted it incorrectly. This recent recall though, did not result in the death of any dogs.

Well not yet. But previous ones have. Im sorry you find me rude, I just dont understand your rationelle.
They get sited by the fda for mishandling of ingredients that arent even listed in ANY of the foods they are to be making =fact (and where the hell ARE they using it?)

I dont know what it would take for you to see my point. If you do like TOTW so much, demand they use a better plant! One that doesnt completely fail at every turn. One that has a decent track record. One that hasnt killed pets.

My dogs do well, GREAT on it. That's all the "fact" I need to keep them on it.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby Stormi » Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 pm

ChevellesMomma wrote:
Timas Mom wrote:

Mine has done well on TOTW, too. I've been completely happy with that brand until this recent recall. It's simply too wide spread for me to feel comfortable feeding their food after everything that has been made public, and the above mentioned issues. There have been incidences of sick dogs in my state who have been fed diamond foods even though Washington isn't on the recall list. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. It's not worth chancing my dog's health, or mine. We've switched over to Horizon Pulsar fish protien, which is a nice transition from the TOTW pacific stream we were using. It's the same price as TOTW, and comes from a small company that manufactures everything in their own plant and has never had to issue a recall.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Stormi wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:
Timas Mom wrote:

Mine has done well on TOTW, too. I've been completely happy with that brand until this recent recall. It's simply too wide spread for me to feel comfortable feeding their food after everything that has been made public, and the above mentioned issues. There have been incidences of sick dogs in my state who have been fed diamond foods even though Washington isn't on the recall list. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. It's not worth chancing my dog's health, or mine. We've switched over to Horizon Pulsar fish protien, which is a nice transition from the TOTW pacific stream we were using. It's the same price as TOTW, and comes from a small company that manufactures everything in their own plant and has never had to issue a recall.

That is great, and it is your right to do that. My only problem with the previous posts is the one claiming that people who continue to feed Diamond are irresponsible and should not have dogs....
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues