Good diet for an elderly dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby ChevellesMomma » Tue May 22, 2012 10:57 pm

My Dachshund, Penny, is going on 11 years old. We have her on Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream, but after reading a few veterinarian articles stating that high protein diets in semi-inactive dogs can cause kidney problems, I figure a switch may be in order. Penny is not allergic to grains, so grain-free is not needed. She does have dry skin, but I will probably just supplement fish oil to take care of that. I was thinking about Kirklands brand for senior dogs. Any input? Opinions? I want something that is specifically targeted to older dogs.

We also have a puppy that is 16 weeks old. Is TOTW for all like stages really the best choice or should I switch temporarily to something more "puppy focused"? Thanks for any and all input.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby ChevellesMomma » Wed May 23, 2012 12:50 am

Nothing from anyone? Lol
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Re: Good diet for an elderly dog?

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 23, 2012 2:29 am

Most "senior" food just are lower protein/fat/calories, and have slight amounts (ie, not enough to be theraputic) levels of glucosamine added.

I think if you found a regular food for her that she liked and did well on with decent protein/fat/calories, and then supplemented with Glyco-Flex or whatever, that would be a more effective way to get the benefits we typically associate with "senior" marketed foods.

Bear in mind that for a less active older dog, less protein and higher sugar/carbohydrate intake combined with too many calories may equal muscle loss and fat gain.

I am not familiar with Kirkland Senior food, sorry.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby ChevellesMomma » Wed May 23, 2012 2:32 am

Thanks for the input! I want her to live forever, so I'm trying to give her the best nutrition possible, lol.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 23, 2012 2:44 am

It's sometimes tricky to differentiate between a marketing ploy and actual benefit, so I would just look at what the ingredients are, where the calories are coming from (white starchy potatoes? soy grits? muscle and bone meal? etc) in the food and then to also adjust her caloric intake as needed and use good-quality supplements for her joints, etc. Salmon oil or organic virgin coconut oil (the kind you cook with) is also apparently good for their skin plus anti-inflammatory for joints. Just adjust her food since these are oils and quite caloric.

I'm also not comfortable feeding my dog a super high-protein dry diet.

The nutritional info can vary a TON between "flavors" of the same brand.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 23, 2012 11:02 am

I had that dilemma too, and my vet is always chewing me out for not feeding Susie, our "malamutt" senior food. People here suggested feeding her Wellness, which I've been doing for a couple of years now. She's probably eleven or so now too. I think she's doing pretty well, does a lot of hiking with us.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:46 pm

There's a lot of controversy surrounding senior diets, and really there isn't a good one size fits all senior food out there.

There is ZERO evidence that protein levels affect kidney function unless there is kidney disease present. Switching your dog to a lower protein food will not help prevent kidney disease. Its very important after disease develops, but not preventative in any way.

Some dogs require more protein as they age to help maintain muscle mass.

If your dog is doing well, then I wouldn't switch at all.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm

If your dog is doing fine, leave things be. With a senior dog the most (IMO) important thing is semi-annual blood work.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Adrianne » Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 pm

My 14 year old eats the same food as my 2 year old. They eat pulsar & natures domain.

I do encourage the use of glycoflex3. :)
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 am

Adrianne wrote:
I do encourage the use of glycoflex3. :)

WOOT!~

Franny's actually eating more food these days to stay the same.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby tiva » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Sorry to chime in so late, but I just read this. Our Tiva is 16.5 and still on TOTW Pacific Stream). It's only 25% protein, and my vet thinks it's a perfect protein level for an old dog. She does wonderfully well on it. Low protein diets for elderly dogs is something of a myth. Super-high protein may not be great, but 25% isn't super-high.

Try mixing it with a lot of water, since dehydration can be more of an issue.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ChevellesMomma » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot about this thread.

You know when people respond to you online, you say you'll respond in a second, then navigate to another page and totally forget?

Sorry guys, lol. All this advice is amazing. I think I am going to move Penny to Orijen Senior when we have the extra cash to buy a bag and see how she does. I've heard a lot of good things. I may try the supplement, too, but she doesn't have a lot of joint problems, surprisingly. She just has energy and weight issues.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues