Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Recall, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 am

Stormi wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:
Timas Mom wrote:
Well not yet. But previous ones have. Im sorry you find me rude, I just dont understand your rationelle.
They have killed pets=fact
Its happened more than once=fact
They get sited by the fda for mishandling of ingredients that arent even listed in ANY of the foods they are to be making =fact (and where the hell ARE they using it?)

I dont know what it would take for you to see my point. If you do like TOTW so much, demand they use a better plant! One that doesnt completely fail at every turn. One that has a decent track record. One that hasnt killed pets.

My dogs do well, GREAT on it. That's all the "fact" I need to keep them on it.

Mine has done well on TOTW, too. I've been completely happy with that brand until this recent recall. It's simply too wide spread for me to feel comfortable feeding their food after everything that has been made public, and the above mentioned issues. There have been incidences of sick dogs in my state who have been fed diamond foods even though Washington isn't on the recall list. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. It's not worth chancing my dog's health, or mine. We've switched over to Horizon Pulsar fish protien, which is a nice transition from the TOTW pacific stream we were using. It's the same price as TOTW, and comes from a small company that manufactures everything in their own plant and has never had to issue a recall.

Same here. I order food online for delivery so I can't control which plant the TOTW comes from.

I'm not very concerned about salmonella (I prepare chicken, eat runny eggs, don't use bleach, handle turtles, don't always wash fresh produce-- these risks are higher and I probably won't change) BUT the business practices coming to light including label/ingredient misinformation is what I didn't like. I only spend $40ish a month on food but would still rather spend it on a different sort of company, and also one where I hope there isn't unlisted stuff routinely included. Just like I don't like "processed mystery meat" for myself. I don't think it's TERRIBLE of people to feed it to their dogs, though. I still would recommend TOTW, Nature's Domain, and Kirkland Chicken & Rice to dog owners I interact with, as a "step up" (in terms of value/nutrition for your buck) from Pedigree and Beneful, which are the foods I see the most.

I switched to Nutri-Source, also similar pricing to TOTW, made with seafood and peas. We'll see. The protein % seemed lower than the Horizon grain-frees IIRC which is the only reason I picked that brand over the other. If it doesn't work out then I will try the Cal Natural again; it's not grain-free but Booker did well on it in the past and despite their purchase, I think Natura is still good.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 am

Timas Mom wrote:
ChevellesMomma wrote:I was genuinely asking to please show me where Diamond has killed a dog, because I have not seen or looked up anything on past recalls. If you thought it was me being sarcastic, I'm sorry that you interpreted it incorrectly. This recent recall though, did not result in the death of any dogs.

Well not yet. But previous ones have. Im sorry you find me rude, I just dont understand your rationelle.
They have killed pets=fact
Its happened more than once=fact
They get sited by the fda for mishandling of ingredients that arent even listed in ANY of the foods they are to be making =fact (and where the hell ARE they using it?)

I dont know what it would take for you to see my point. If you do like TOTW so much, demand they use a better plant! One that doesnt completely fail at every turn. One that has a decent track record. One that hasnt killed pets.

As of yesterday, Diamond was linked to the deaths of two cats in Montreal.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby pblove » Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 am

pblove wrote:Diamond expanded it's recall after one sick cat, one sick care giver and two cats died at a shelter in Montreal after eating Diamond cat food.
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/v ... -dead.aspx

here is the link to the cats passing.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

Timas Mom, you point is not lost with everyone. :)

Wanted to add Dr. Straus's (canine nutritionist) opinion, since there have been a few comments about protein amount in food:

"High-Protein Diets

Contrary to many myths and popular beliefs, there is no harm in feeding a high-protein diet to dogs of any age, including puppies (see Large and giant breed puppies below) and seniors (see Senior and overweight dogs below and my article on Diet and the Older Dog for more information). Studies have proved that protein does not cause orthopedic problems in puppies, nor lead to kidney disease in older dogs. In fact, protein is extremely beneficial: it supports the immune system and the central nervous system, contributes to wound healing, helps build lean muscle, and is required for skin and coat health.

Even most dogs with kidney disease benefit from a moderate-protein rather than low-protein diet (see my Kidney Disease web page for additional info). There are very, very few health conditions where a lower-protein diet is needed, and even then, it's extremely important to feed adequate protein, as protein malnutrition will cause the body to break down its own muscle tissue to get what it needs, leading to muscle wasting and other serious problems. Even mild protein deficiency can significantly impair immune function. Dogs who get too little protein are also more susceptible to stress, including stress from injury or infection.

Dogs thrive on protein, the more the better. There is absolutely no reason to limit the amount of protein you feed your dog. Look for foods that are high in protein, rather than the typical high-carbohydrate diets that are more commonly available. Dogs have no nutritional need for carbohydrates; they are used in dog food mostly as an inexpensive source of calories (grains are also used to supply low-quality protein in some foods), and to help bind dry food together into kibble. Studies indicate that high-protein, low-carb foods with moderate amounts of fat also help dogs lose weight better than the traditional high-carb, low-fat (and often low-protein) weight loss diets.

There are a number of newer, high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets now being offered, for both adult and senior dogs. Some of these are also OK for puppies, if approved for them or for all life stages, but be careful of any with very high calcium percentages (best to stick to 2% or less calcium on a dry matter basis for large-breed puppies under the age of six months). Some of the high-protein diets are also quite high in fat (20% or more), which is appropriate for very active dogs, but not for those who aren't. Look for foods where the protein percentage is double the fat percentage.

You can also increase the protein levels in whatever diet you feed by adding some fresh, high-protein foods, such as meat, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and canned fish with bones (jack mackerel, pink salmon, sardines). See Adding Fresh Foods to a Commercial Diet for more info. "
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby ChevellesMomma » Wed May 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Don't know what to think of that, since I have also seen several nutritionist opinions to the contrary...but, I'm going to try both for my elderly dog and see what she does best on.
ChevellesMomma
Adolescent Bully

Postby Odnarb » Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

pblove wrote:
pblove wrote:Diamond expanded it's recall after one sick cat, one sick care giver and two cats died at a shelter in Montreal after eating Diamond cat food.

Have you seen any more on it? The article makes it sound like nothing has been confirmed. I imagine that they have more than three cats in the shelter. Why aren't they sick? Has the human been tested for salmonella?

I really dislike these kind of stories. Whenever something happens, there is so much unsubstantiated hysteria. I've seen the craziest stuff being blamed on this salmonella recall. It's obviously a bad thing, but there is so much hoopla and panic that I don't know how much one should even believe.

That being said, I do think that we will be switching to Earthborn Holistic when our TOTW runs out.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Amie » Wed May 23, 2012 1:44 pm

I feel like everytime I start to wonder if feeding raw is worth the trouble, there's a recall. :po:
Amie
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed May 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of using PetDiets.com and having a veterinary nutritionist put together recipes specifically tailored to Obi and Buddy's needs.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Odnarb » Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Amie wrote:I feel like everytime I start to wonder if feeding raw is worth the trouble, there's a recall. :po:

Well, there are recalls on human foods all the time, too. Including meats.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Amie » Wed May 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes, but I feel like I have more control when there's fewer ingredients and fewer steps along the way.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Timas Mom » Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 pm

When I was first working in veterinary hospitals (10 yrs ago) it was all low protein for older pets. High fibre and low protein.

That is very old school thinking and the most recent studies agree that normal amounts good quality protein prevent muscle loss, and do not affect kidney disease till its end stage or severe.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby pblove » Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Odnarb wrote:
pblove wrote:

Have you seen any more on it? The article makes it sound like nothing has been confirmed. I imagine that they have more than three cats in the shelter. Why aren't they sick? Has the human been tested for salmonella?

I really dislike these kind of stories. Whenever something happens, there is so much unsubstantiated hysteria. I've seen the craziest stuff being blamed on this salmonella recall. It's obviously a bad thing, but there is so much hoopla and panic that I don't know how much one should even believe.

That being said, I do think that we will be switching to Earthborn Holistic when our TOTW runs out.

No I don 't know any more,I post the info as I see it or get it.
I was feeding my new puppy TOTW puppy because that is what she was fed before I got her. I am steering clear of any and all products made at Diamond plants, to many recalls imo.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

pblove wrote:No I don 't know any more,I post the info as I see it or get it.
I was feeding my new puppy TOTW puppy because that is what she was fed before I got her. I am steering clear of any and all products made at Diamond plants, to many recalls imo.

I'm really disappointed to see the FDA inspection report. You think you know what is going on, you hope they have changed... its all so very disappointing, and scary too.

I'm shocked at the number of foods affected by the plant, and I'm now unsure what to consider switching to. My dogs have done absolutely amazing on the TOTW, its the longest I've fed any food since I switched from Natural Balance...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I picked some up today. I hope my 3 does well on it.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Acana Grain Free is a good option as an alternative to TOTW. :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues