Pancreatitis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Pancreatitis

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Bump for updates, I hope he's doing well.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Sat May 26, 2012 9:17 pm

hows our boy? Just read the news. worried!!
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby dot » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:22 am

Red, how are you and Tux doing?
dot
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Murfins » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:43 pm

dot wrote:Red, how are you and Tux doing?

x2 Keep checking for an update and hope that no news is good news.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks to those who asked about Tux, it is very appreciated. He has been closely monitored since this started, he lost weight as well as muscle mass and won't gain any. He was at 42 lbs three weeks ago and he is on the same weight, despite eating up to 5 times a day.He was 49 lbs before this started.Yesterday I got the results back from a check blood panel that covered about everything there is to cover, to see what the Prednisone is doing and what is going on. His regular vet is happy with the results, especially the protein levels and the only thing that is "off" is his liver levels which are slightly higher than normal. The vet says it is the result of the Prednisone, but given the rest of the results we lowered the dosage to 5 mg once a day (we were at 5mg in AM and 5 mg in the PM the past two weeks) and continue the Famotidine to try to avoid stomach ulcers. We might switch to budesonide if steroids continue to be be needed, which might have less side effects than the Pred.There have been no vomiting since he came home from the hospital the last time.

I switched his regular probiotics and gastro supplements to Standard Process Canine Enteric Support and continue his salmon oil intake, plus his dry low fat kibble (Horizone Amicus) and home made diet.He broke a tooth last Friday, during a sonic boom, but cannot be put under for extraction at the moment, since his intestine issues might flare up. He is eating okey, but that tooth might require extraction at some point.Some of his problem behaviors have been more intense after his stay at the hospital, which I expected. He is glued to my side even more than he was, and on a constant hunt for anything there is to eat.

This was him about two weeks ago:

SonnysMomma wrote:Val, are they ruling out pancreatitis? What are they thinking is going on? I've read through the thread but haven't really seen what they wee saying at this point.

He had an episode of pancreatitis for sure, but his canine pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity test was normal shortly after. The diagnosis, with all the biopsies and test ran after that, remains inflammatory bowel disease.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:14 am

I continue to keep Tux in my healing thoughts and prayers. I am certain you will find something that works for Tux and he will be around with you for a long time.

I know dogs and cats are very different but my cat Mitzubishi was diagnosed with IBD years ago. He went through a terrible time of explosive, black runs and got really thin and I thought that was the end but I changed his food until I found something that worked for him. He eats Natural Balance dry kibble and canned now. His weight is appropriate and he is happy and content.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Pancreatitis

Postby mtlu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:24 pm

I hope the SP stuff helps him - give him lots of love from me.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues