Flea-borne typhus found in OC, CALIFORNIA

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Flea-borne typhus found in OC, CALIFORNIA

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 am

I know there aren't 'that many' people on here from southern California but I thought I'd pass this along:

A resident of Santa Ana, Calif (orange county) tested positive for flea-borne typhus:

Flea-borne typhus also known as Endemic typhus, and Murine typhus, is transmitted by fleas. It is caused by the bacteria, Rickettsia typhi, and Rickettsia felis, found in infected fleas and their feces. Both rickettsiae are transmitted transovarily (the female fleas transmit the disease to their offspring).

more info: http://www.ocvcd.org/typhus.php
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: Flea-borne typhus found in OC, CALIFORNIA

Postby patty » Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for posting this!! We live in OC
patty
Forum Junky

Re: Flea-borne typhus found in OC, CALIFORNIA

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:47 am

I'm not sure what can be done about it, tho small scale at a home environment - I'm using Comfortis and the flea has to bite (the dog) got get the juice, so nothing is killing the fleas that bite or poop on the humans first ... (scary tho -just read that you get it from flea poop being scratched into a flea/or other bite, gets wiped into your eyes, or gets inhaled...well, that just about covers everything!!! That said, I have NOT been bitten by a flea in several years!!!!!! And actually I think they are cat fleas outside that have gotten me in the past. Again, per the notice, they don't know if this person contracted it in SA or just got diagnosed with it while being in SA....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues