Allergic Reaction to Sting/Bite

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:21 pm

My boyfriend's pibble, Ginger, was stung or bit by something under her chin 4 days ago. Her face was swollen (she looked like a Bull Terrier, poor girl) and she developed hives. She weighs 46lbs but since her face was swollen too I gave her three 25mg capsules for the first dose. After an hour her face looked 75% back to normal and the hives were less visible. I stayed home to watch her and make sure she didn't develop any breathing issues.
It's been 4 days and she still has hives. We've been giving her 50mg (two 25mg capsules) every 8 hours. The face swelling went down and never came back. However, in the mornings and evenings she seems like she's not feeling too great. How long does it normally take for a dog to recover from something like this? Is it vet time?
Thanks so much!
UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:02 pm

When Enzo was stung/bitten it was a solid three days of hives but he didn't gave any facial swelling. It sounds like your girls reaction was more severe so perhaps that's why it's taking longer.

Hope she's feeling better soon!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Allergic Reaction to Sting/Bite

Postby bethh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:35 pm

When our jack russel first got bit, her hives were visible through her rough coat for 5 days. I took her to the vet the first day as I was unfamiliar with bug bite reactions. Her subsequent hives have lasted for 2 to 6 days, no vet visits. Sounds like you're doing the right thing, watching & benedryl.
bethh
Super Bully

Re: Allergic Reaction to Sting/Bite

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies! She is back to her normal, happy self now :D
UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues