California Natural vs. Fromm

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: California Natural vs. Fromm

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, Lena has liquid diarrhea on the California Natural, and she hasn't been into anything else. It got bad enough she needed antibiotics and spent the evening in ICU with me because she had to go hourly. She's on prescription science diet for a few days, and we'll give it one more try but at the first sign of gas, she'll be trying the Fromm while Romeo finishes up the California Natural on his own.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

I just bought our first bag of Fromm g/f and gave myself a headache by spending a freaking hour in the dog food isle.... doh Didn't notice until I got home and decantered the bag that it's freaking 19% fat!!!! Now I'm concerned since Ruby had a mild bout of pancreatitis over a month ago tho was cleared to go back to regular diet...
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I just bought our first bag of Fromm g/f and gave myself a headache by spending a freaking hour in the dog food isle.... doh Didn't notice until I got home and decantered the bag that it's freaking 19% fat!!!! Now I'm concerned since Ruby had a mild bout of pancreatitis over a month ago tho was cleared to go back to regular diet...

If I had a pup with pancreatitis, it would be on prescription food for life... nothing OTC is a low-fat, and the holistic diets are by far the fattiest.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I used to use the Whitefish formula and it's 12% or maybe 14% tops. Their Gold Weight Management is 10%.

I have since switched my pancreatitis candidate to a raw diet, because I can control exactly how much fat she is really getting.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I was afraid you would say that, Misskiwi............

Mooresmajestic wrote:I used to use the Whitefish formula and it's 12% or maybe 14% tops. Their Gold Weight Management is 10%.
I have since switched my pancreatitis candidate to a raw diet, because I can control exactly how much fat she is really getting.

I do feed raw dinners --- what do you do with fat on the meats? I have always taken the fat/skin off of chicken thighs but the pork I currently have has a decent 'rind' of skin and fat....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

I feed red meats (Vi won't touch poultry in any form) and fish. I just peel the "rind" off and save it or sell it back to another person in my co-op. They are eating venison right now, so it isn't a big concern since its so lean. I haven't ventured to pork yet. If you are part of a co-op, it may be worth asking if anyone wants to buy your "extra" fat. Some people do since some dogs need it.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I wish I had seen this post before! Some good discussion about foods. Thanks all for lending us your insight!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I was afraid you would say that, Misskiwi............

Mooresmajestic wrote:I used to use the Whitefish formula and it's 12% or maybe 14% tops. Their Gold Weight Management is 10%.

I do feed raw dinners --- what do you do with fat on the meats? I have always taken the fat/skin off of chicken thighs but the pork I currently have has a decent 'rind' of skin and fat....

The diet with 10% fat might be just fine actually. In my search for foods adequate for large breed puppies I have never been able to find a diet less than 15% fat, so I guess I just hadn't seen that the new weight management diets were out there. There's too many new foods out there to keep up with them.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues