Cruciate Ligament and Hiking

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cruciate Ligament and Hiking

Postby Studlintsean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Does anyone do extensive hiking/ backpacking with a dog that has had a cruciate ligament repair? My male, Bronx, had surgery February 2nd and has been on IR since then while slowly healing. It has now been 4 months and he is able to do moderate activity without showing signs of soreness. I know he is still working his leg back to full strength so I still try to limit his activity quite a bit. Over the past month we have been increasing our walking times and incorporating some swimming to help build the muscles he has neglected since surgery. We went on our first "run" (more like a very slow jog) together this weekend and did about 3 miles with a 20 minute break for water and massaging in the middle. I know all dogs are different and recover differently but Im wondering has anyone got their dog back out on the trail for overnight backpacking after this type of surgery? If so, in what what kind of time frame post surgery (again I know all dogs heal different and may require more or less time). I would like to take him on the annual Thanksgiving trip covering 30-40 miles over 4 days but I am wondering when it would be safe to start with some small hikes this summer. If it helps at all, we would be doing most of our hiking on the Appalachian Trail on the east coast.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Studlintsean
Adolescent Bully

Re: Cruciate Ligament and Hiking

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:38 pm

We take Roscoe for 4-5 maybe six mile hikes, but we haven't gone for days like you are talking about. He goes swimming all the time too. He had knee surgery last year.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Work him up to it slowly, and if he doesn't act sore, then he is OK to do any activity his joints will handle. Some dogs recover better than others, most will eventually develop arthritis regardless of the surgery. Keep building up that muscle, and he should be able to handle a long hike like that without problems.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Studlintsean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:59 am

Oh yea Roscoe....Bronx's twin.

Thanks Missskiwi
Studlintsean
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues