Nero had a seizure

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nero had a seizure

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm

It was weird, he just started snapping at the air like there was a fly but didn't stop and it went on for several minutes, he was so amped up at the vet he wasn't really doing it anymore. I took a vid on my camera thanks to reading other people's stories and it was good I did since what he was doing at home was way worse than when we got there. He hasn't gotten into anything and his bloodwork came back fine, they had to knock him out because he gets so stressed at the vet and was way worse tonight, snapping and freaking out so he is still sleeping the dex off. They sent us home with phenobarb in case he starts again but said not to give it if he doesn't. Pretty much waiting to see how he is when he wakes up but very scary and stressful. Murphys law, dogs only get sick right after the vet closes and the day before payday.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Nero had a seizure

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:19 pm

How scary! I hope this was a one off. Poor man :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Nero had a seizure

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am

Sounds terrifying. I will keep you and Nero in my thoughts. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong. Could he have had something stuck up in his mouth?? or throat?
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 am

Wow,s that's scary! Sending good vibes!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Honestly it seems more like he's hallucinating and he slept forever last night. Looked up a couple times this morning but then started doing it very low key when James got home and he got revved up. Vet said to try and keep him "calm". Yeah that's a word not in Nero's vocabulary and to give him half or a whole pill of the phenobarb if he continued. James gave him half a pill about 9 this morning and we've seen him do just the look up thing a couple times since. I am working on uploading the vid but takes forever.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Vid I took last night, he would be hopping around if James wasn't holding him, he wasn't too thrilled I was taping it
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh poor boy! I hope your vet can figure it out. Are you able to take him to the U of MN?

That looks so scary for all of you. I am so sorry.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Broke my heart watching that. Poor Nero and you guys too. They are scary. Good thoughts coming that there are no more.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm not sure what the plan of attack is yet, we are going to see how the weekend goes, I had planned to take all the dogs and ferrets to our Duluth vet for checkups on Tues but couldn't get in, they had to move around appts. because of the floods. I'd rather have him see there over the local vet if we can and I'm going to call them on Monday and see if I can email the video to them and see what they think. I wish the U was closer, it's like 5 or 6 hours and I would probably need to take a couple days off to make it work, unfortunately a coworker is gone for hip surgery for 2 months and it would be at least that long before I can get time off.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 am

Any update on Nero? Seems my mind keeps coming back to him these past days.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Well no more seizures or whatever, but the phenobarb is making him pretty much lose any ounce of self control he had, he's always been a vocal high energy dog, but now he is extremely whiny, back to being reactive on walks, screaming in the kennel, clingy even more than usual. I've read the side effects should diminish within a few weeks and I really hope so. I guess we are going to test his levels in a couple weeks, keep him on the meds for six months and then try to wean him off the meds is the plan and see how that goes. My other vet concurred that it looked like a seizure and to try this. I hope he doesn't have any more, it's really got my boyfriend worried about leaving him at all and he's gotten to sleep on the bed with us every night since (normally we rotate dogs because 3 don't fit).
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby patty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Sending my very best to Nero. That is sooooo scary!

Keep us updated.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 am

I too will keep Nero and your family in my thoughts. :hug:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:03 pm

So scary!!! That is a dramatic seizure too. How is he doing? How old is Nero again? Are you using Trifexis? I hope the Phenobarb continues to help him, poor baby.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 pm

He's 5-ish, we've had him four years and no trifexis, the vet asked if we had him on proheart because they said that can cause seizures too but we use heartguard here and nothing for ticks/fleas since we don't have an issue with fleas and stay away from the woods.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Next

Return to Health Issues