Victor Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Victor Dog Food

Postby randomroads » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 am

I just bought a bag of grainfree Glucosamine and am excited to try it. Does anyone have any experience with the brand?
randomroads
Matured Bully

Re: Victor Dog Food

Postby BlueKohl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I switched to Victor earlier this year because of the Diamond Foods issues and I absolutely love it!

My Saint Bernard, Daisy, who has allergies (as well as Addison's Disease) is on the Grain Free- All Life Stages (red bag) and it is doing great with her. Her coat looks great and I have actually started supplementing with coconut oil less. Did you notice its 33/16 ratio? Daisy is very active, but I could see how this might be too protien rich for some dogs with slower metabolisms or less active lifestyles.

My Pittie, Kohl, who seems to be only intolerant of corn and wheat, uses the non grain free Performance/Joint Health, (Green Bag) which has the Glucosamine supplement. He has bad hips, so I still supplement on top of that but I think any little bit helps. Its 26/18 ratio is just right for him, because he cannot run nearly so much as Daisy. (We run with them seperately so that he doesn't feel bad; isn't that just pathetic?)

All Victor foods are corn, wheat, soy and gluten free and have no GMO grains. :) Its made nearby to me in Mt. Pleasant, TX and its artificial preservative/color/flavor free. Both dogs enjoy eating their food and will eat their share happily and quickly.

Side note: I am not sure how it is distributed where you live, but here it is only in local feed stores, and random ones at that. You may want to shop around because I have paid $32-35 for the GF bag and have seen it at other feed stores for $49.

In short, my results have been great.
BlueKohl
Newborn Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 pm

There's only one local store that has it, and I paid $47 including tax for the grain-free joint health formula. The next closest store that has it is about an hour away, so I'm pretty happy with the price. We're still transitioning to it, so I can't say if I like it yet or not. Hopefully this is a good one!
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby AmberD » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Any more feedback or thoughts on this food? My friend may start carrying it at her grooming salon, so I may be able to get it at a good price... I'd never even heard of it, but it looks great.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby randomroads » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm really digging this dog food! Her poops are tiny and hard (but not constipated), her doggy breath is completely gone without anything extra done, and she's eating less of this food than she was of her other.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 am

Anybody able to share the amount of glucosamine per serving of kibble? Just curious since most foods with glucosamine aren't nearly enough to make it worthwhile...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby AmberD » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 pm

The Grain Free Joint Health says 750 mg/kg, but I don't know how that relates to "per serving." Right now I supplement with Glyco Flex III, and unless the food provides enough to match that, I (personally) will just get the regular and continue to supplement. Obviously, it'd be awesome if the food gave a comparable dose and I could stop buying the supplements, but I somehow doubt it.

http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victor ... Health.pdf
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I just figured out that the parent company does make cat food (Mers brand - never heard of it, but I'd never heard of Victor til a couple weeks ago), so I am going to see if I can get that, too. Too excited.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

An average recommended daily amount would be about 1200mg per dog. So at 750mg/kg, you are probably not doing much, if anything (unless your dog eats 2 kg or 4 pounds of food per day).

A lot of these foods contain a lot of cartilagenous body parts, like chicken joints or beef trachea, and then they use the cartilage as a glucosamine source to make the food sound better than it is. It could very well be a great food otherwise (I'm certainly not bashing by-products here) but I wouldn't pay extra for the formula with glucosamine unless it contains enough to be therapeutic.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby randomroads » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 am

Where I'm buying my bags the only GF formula is the glucosamine one. I'll stick to what I've been getting since it's making my dog look great and I'll look around for any G/C supplements I can give her.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby jalapenocupcakes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 pm

I feed all of ours the Victor brand now for about six months now and couldn't be happier. Like mentioned before, their poops are much smaller. Their coats are shinier and it helped with Reese's skin and ear allergies.I love this food!
jalapenocupcakes
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues