Beware Animal Shelters in the States

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby pitbullgirlbc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:41 am

Please all animal shelter works in the states, this woman brings all of her animals up from the southern shelters or anywhere she can get them as well as pit bulls. She is sick and needs help but refuses to get it, she refuses to adopt out most of her animals and they remain in crates for up to 22 hours a day. Lots of horrible information can be seen online about her as well as pictures of what has happened to some of these animals including the dog with 130 bladder stones removed by the SPCA vet. If you shelter or rescue hears from this rescue or one of it's representatives please run the other way!!!

METRO VANCOUVER - Fifty-two dogs and 16 cats seized from a Burnaby home earlier this month are being returned to a woman who rescues special needs animals.

Sandra Simans, who runs an organization called 1atatime Rescue, contacted The Vancouver Sun on Friday and appealed to the public for help finding a new home for her animals after she was evicted from her rental house on Maitland Street. The dogs and cats, many of them sick and injured, were seized for being in contravention of a bylaw that prohibits that many animals.

The SPCA has launched an animal cruelty investigation. No charges have been laid.

In a news release, Bob Busch, general manager of operations for the BC SPCA, says Simans has found a property in Surrey for the animals.

Busch says the BC SPCA will be closely monitoring the welfare and safety of any animals that are returned.

"This is a very sad case where a rescue hoarder took in far more animals than she was capable of properly caring for and was not meeting the financial responsibilities of housing or caring for the animals," said Busch.

"Many of the animals we took into care from Ms. Simans were extremely sick, injured and emaciated and were not getting the urgent veterinary care they needed."

He said the BC SPCA told Simans that she could claim the animals at any time once she had a location where the animals could be properly cared for.

"Since the animals are rescue animals, not pets, we assume Ms. Simans will be happy with this outcome for the animals," says Busch.

The BC SPCA has spent more than $10,000 in emergency veterinary costs on these animals so far and there will be significant ongoing medical costs for many of the animals before they are ready for adoption, he said.

Of the 68 animals, one had to be euthanized due to extreme distress and suffering, he said.

Busch says the dogs were kept in plastic crates and were "clearly not getting the care they required."

He said rescue groups have a standard called 'Capacity to Care' which sets out levels of health and welfare that must be provided for rescued animals and guides organizations in the number of animals they can responsibly care for given their resources.

Since Friday, The Vancouver Sun has received many emails from people who claim to have worked for Simans and allege she was hoarding animals and kept them in cages. So far none would go on record, however neighbour Audrey Hall said she was outraged that Simans may get to keep the animals.

Hall, who has lived on Maitland Street since 1984, said Simans had lived in the rental property across from her house for four years, and in that time she saw her walk a dog about three times.

"She never left the house. They lived like vampires and when they would come out of the house the dogs would be in cages," said Hall.

Hall alleges that on several occasions she heard Simans swearing and screaming at the dogs and at a police officer who was at the front door. She also claimed the dogs howled at all hours of the night and kept her family and her neighbours awake.

"I don't think there is any validity to anything she says," said Hall. "Maybe her intentions come from a good place but I think there is something unstable about hoarding so many animals in a house."

Simans insists she was doing everything she can for the animals she rescued from disaster areas all over the world. She claimed that she spent all her money trying to save them and treat their illnesses.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/SPCA+r ... z1z9pyx0ff
pitbullgirlbc
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:52 am

Heartbreaking.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Beware Animal Shelters in the States

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm

awful. it is so sad that the laws are such that the animals are being returned, I know this is not the SPCA's choice.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Beware Animal Shelters in the States

Postby MarMar » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 am

Oh no :( I met this lady, she did a dog class with me once. I didn't know she was hoarding but I can't say I'm surprised. I hope her dogs get the care they deserve :(
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs