Nero had a seizure

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Nero had a seizure

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:32 pm

You might want to check out a Ketogenic Diet, which was the traditional "therapy" for seizures. It forces the brain to use fat for fuel, while providing more Oxygen to the brain.

Here's a vet who has worked to help both pets and humans, as well as himself: [url]80 percent of the antibiotics sold in the United States are used on animals to make them grow faster[/url] He is very, very, very wordy, so print this out and use a highlighter, then go research.

A Raw Prey Model diet is a ketogenic diet and is something I'd definitely pursue if I were in your shoes.
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Your link did not work? However I was actually debating swapping him to PMR, I already feed Jersey raw but need to figure some finances, I just found a possible new supplier for cheap organs/by products that would help although not much available this time of year. There are a couple dog owners on the food chat that have had lessened/stopped seizures since a change to raw and it has definitely been on my mind to look into it more.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 pm

jeez that looks so scary, poor boy...and you and your boyfriend must be so worried. how is he doing now?
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:51 pm

He's doing well, still a little more antsy than normal, doesn't want to go in his crate anymore and noisy all the time but no seizures or other side effects. He's losing hair again but think it's the normal allergies he always gets this time of year and not related. I am going ahead and switch him to raw this week so we will see if it helps his issues or not and maybe we can wean off the phenobarb, he hates taking them and is normally really easy to slip a pill.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:22 am

I am glad Nero is doing better and keeping you all in my thoughts.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:48 am

i am glad to hear he's doing a little bit better... perhaps you can put the pill in some peanut butter, seems to work here ;) I am hoping he's going to stay seizure free, so he doesn't want to go in his crate? I would keep a close eye on him, to see if anything changes.

:hug:
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am

We've been hiding it in cheese or meat which seems to work but pb he'll lick off and drop the pill, same with coating it in coconut oil or anything I've tried so far. He's gotten a little better about crating and whining, but still back to reactive on walks and now he's stumbled a couple times? Like he's not as balanced as usual. Vet thinks because it's a sedative, I guess it takes a couple weeks to get to proper levels or something and we might be adjusting it soon. Thank you guys for thinking of my buddy here!
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:12 am

Still keeping you all in my positive thoughts. :peace:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:50 am

It took Lilly 3 weeks to adjust to the med. Went through a period when her back legs didn't want to go with her front legs. Finally she is back to her normal silly self. Did her blood test yesterday. Lots of good thoughts Nero is doing well.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

Hate to bump this back up again but he started doing it again today, on and off but it's weird because you can somewhat snap him out of it or he'll stop for awhile, and then do a quick head snap and that's it. Got a better video of what it's really like without someone holding him down but it's not uploaded yet.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am

:(
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 am

That should work if you click on it, little jumpy in the beginning.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

What percentage Fats/Protein/Carbs are you feeding?
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

It looks like he's chasing a fly or something. Do you think maybe he sees something in his eye or hears/feels something in his ear? You know, like if you're dehydrated, you see spots and stuff accross your eye view...or if a gnat flies in your ear or something tickles your ear? I'm sorry I'm no help.
Curly_07
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues