Hiro has heartworms. :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hiro has heartworms. :(

Postby Youaremysuicide » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I took Hiro to the vet last Monday to get some Heartgard. It's been really hot and dry so she's been inside for the most part. Well, they did the test, and it turns out she's positive for heartworms. We've only had her for about six months and the vet said they're pretty bad, so she's had them since before we got her. I was so disappointed. I guess the shelter that we got her from either didn't catch them or didn't even test her. I also feel bad that I didn't take her sooner, but I didn't have the money, and I just thought that since we adopted her they would've tested her. But She's got a week more of doxycycline then she's going in for her treatment. She's such a high energy dog, so I'm gonna feel bad about having to crate her after the treatment, but I know it's important! I'm just asking for you guys to send good wishes her way!
Youaremysuicide
Newborn Bully

Re: Hiro has heartworms. :(

Postby patty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Sending healing vibes to Hiro. Get well soon sweety!! Keep us updated we will be thinking of you both.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

That is very disappointing! But you caught it now... just remember to follow the instructions carefully especially about being cautious of rigorous exercise until the load reduces... Poor baby!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Youaremysuicide » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Thank you guys, so much! I'm going to make sure she's not too excited whether she likes it or not. Whether that means constant crating or being leashed inside. I just want her to be okay! And while I'm said she has to go through this I'm oddly thankful we didn't know until now. If the shelter would've said she had heartworms, there's no way the hubby would've let us adopt her! And on an even sadder note, the vet also said he thinks that her last owner might've even cut her ears themselves! Some people are terrible. But at least now she has us. :)

Even though sometimes the mean mr kitty steals her bed!
Youaremysuicide
Newborn Bully

Postby Youaremysuicide » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Well, Hiro had her treatment a couple of weeks ago and she's doing great! She was kinda swollen for the first few days, but it went down and things are going back to normal. She's starting to want to play, and I feel so bad because she can't. But I know it's for the best! I can't wait for her full recovery, though! We plan on buying her all new toys AND I just ordered a new collar from Ella's lead for her! I'm excited!
Youaremysuicide
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm

It is wonderful to hear the Hiro is on the mend. After her forced rest, once she's all better, she will forget all about it I bet!! She is a beautiful dog and I'm so happy that you and your DH were able to adopt her and treat her heartworms so she will live a nice life. :)
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 pm

This is the tough part! They start feeling better and wanting to play. Just be sure to keep it up, no matter how good she looks or acts. Are you doing the staggered injections? I noticed you mentioned Doxy, so I'm assuming your vet is following the newer protocol of Doxy, first injection, then the second and third one month later?
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Youaremysuicide » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:47 pm

She was on doxy for two weeks then went to the vet for injections. She had one on one day and 24 hours later had another. They sent her home with another two weeks of doxy. Took her in last week and they gave her two doses of some oral medication (I don't remember what it was called) and in another two weeks will go back for two more doses.
Youaremysuicide
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues