Riddle's TTA recovery thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Riddle's TTA recovery thread

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Riddle is back on track! She's had two solid poops today. :) So that's a big relief!

Her leg and incision continue to heal:

We had our first physical therapy session today. It was great! We did even more stuff than we did for the surgery three years ago. First up was cold laser treatment. That seemed to help her feel much better, she was walking on the leg really well when we left. Then we did electrotherapy for her muscles. Basically, it administers tiny shocks to the muscle to make it twitch, which helps retrain the muscle. It was really neat! Here's a video for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJTOb6xk ... ature=plcp

We also got three sets of exercises to do twice daily. We do 25-30 reps of range of motion, which is moving the knee like she's walking. Then we do 25-30 leg compressions, which is putting one hand on the knee and one on the hock, holding at a 90* angle, and squeezing together. Then we do 10 reps of three-legged stands, barely lifting her right foot so she has to stand on the "bad" leg for a second.

I'll try to get video of the exercises!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby patty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Your baby is healing up very nicely and quickly. She is luck to have you both!

Those first few pictures were scary!
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

Whew! Sorry about the lack of updates! Our internet has been wonky and it seems like every time I get a chance for computer time, it goes out. Sigh.

Here's her incision today:

It's looking a bit red in some spots. It's not swollen or inflamed, so I'm hoping the redness goes away. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 pm

the incision looks ''beautiful'' not inflammated or anything. poor riddle, hope he feels better soon...they are so sad when they are out of surgery/sick
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Riddle gets staples out tomorrow! Hooray! I'm slightly concerned, because she still has fluid in the knee, a small pocket. But the wound is closed, so it can't escape. I guess we'll see what the vet says tomorrow!

She did get to go on a stroller ride last night. We went to another park, and she LOVED lying in the grass and sniffing everything.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Nice collar! :thumbsup:
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:35 pm

It's from Ella's Lead of course! Here's the rest of it:

I'm ridiculously in love with it. It's pretty much all she ever wears now!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Staples are OUT!

It looks GREAT! I'm so happy. :) She was great for the staple removal, of course. The fluid is just a small seroma, which should reabsorb into her body over time. It could take a couple weeks, apparently, but it'll be fine. Overall I'm really happy!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am

Her leg looks great! I hope that seroma goes down for you, Jersey had one that got big fast and then burst, it was right after an appt so think maybe the moving around made it worse but it was gross and she was leaking fluid everywhere.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 am

I hope it doesn't burst! She did have a pretty big seroma last time around, it was actually a nightmare. It kept a portion of her incision open since there was so much fluid leaking out, she couldn't have the staples out for four weeks. :crybaby: Thankfully that didn't happen this time around! I do think this seroma has shrunk a bit since my last post.

Had our first- well first for this surgery- underwater treadmill session yesterday. She pouted throughout, but did great like she usually does.

We went to just icing the knee now, twice a day. Her tri-leg stands were also increased to three-four seconds of holding up the "good" leg, instead of a quick lift and drop.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry about lack of updates, there hasn't been much to update!

Yesterday at her PT session Riddle got cleared for 5 minute walks daily! Yay! The PT said that she is healing really fast and well, which is what I want to hear! We are going to see a doggie chiropractor though, since the PT noticed that Riddle's hips aren't aligned correctly, probably from all the limping and leg favoring over the last few months. So we're gonna try and get in with one ASAP!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 pm

A very good update today!

Riddle saw the chiropractor yesterday, and I'm so glad we went! Not just her hips were out, pretty much her whole body was out of alignment. I swear the chiro fixed almost every single vertebrae! It doesn't surprise me given all the ortho stuff she's had wrong over the last few years. I could tell she felt better afterwards, she crashed when we got home and slept really good. We're going back in 2 weeks for a recheck.

Today is the really good news! We saw her surgeon for her 4 week post-op x-ray, and it was fantastic. He couldn't believe how fast she's healing and growing bone. She's about 60% weight bearing when standing, and 75-90% when walking! Plus her range of motion is smooth, there's no patellar luxation, and she's not tender.

Best of all... he thinks she might be able to be released to exercise sooner than normal! He wants to do an 8 week post-op x-ray instead of 12, and he thinks that she might be healed enough to start ramping up her exercise then! So we're keeping our fingers crossed that she continues to heal so quickly!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby PBF lurker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for keeping this journal.
My boy has done something to his leg and a preliminary check by a canine PT friend thinks it may be a partial tear. I'm heartbroken that my bouncy boy may have to be quiet for months.
PBF lurker
Newborn Bully

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Little update. :)

Riddle is doing 15 minute walks twice daily now! She's also doing 5 reps of cross leg stands twice a day... I pick up the right rear and front left leg so she stands on the "bad" leg and diagonal front leg for 3 seconds.

Her scar is tiny!

Enjoying her laser therapy yesterday:

And doing one of her walks on my mom's property. :)
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm glad to see she is recovering so well and so quickly!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues