Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Curly_07

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Bodegus wrote:
Curly_07 wrote:Well, I've had the Walky Dog for about a month now. I love how I don't feel any real resistance on it. I hate how it doesn't fit my bike properly though. I've got it rigged for now, until I can find some more liner to put in the attachment piece. I've also only been doing no more than 10 mins on it with Curly. I only do a fast pace walk/slow trot with her on it for these few minutes, but her pads keep getting really raw. I allow them a few days to heal, then we try again...and they are raw again. This happens on the sidewalk, dirt paths, grass...but they do not get raw when she and I hike(dirt/rocks/pavement/grass) on weekends for a couple hours. She also doesn't get raw pads when we walk around the community on the sidewalk for an hour or so. I'm so confused as to why it's happening. Maybe she is slightly pulling away/towards the bike, and I can't tell, and this is causing it? How can I prevent her from hurting herself? Would wrapping her paws with something be a good idea? If so, how and what do I wrap them with? HELP?!?!

What pace are you going at? I could see where going too slow would cause her to break with every step and cause some friction. If you can't feel a strong tug I wouldn't think it's the bike.

We go at a fast pace walk/slow jog pace on the bike because she gets winded easily too. I figured better to start slow to build up some endurance. I tried it again and watched her closely this time (which caused me to almost crash a couple times lol), and she is slightly pulling outward from the bike. She isn't scared of the bike, so not sure why she is slightly pulling at it. I honestly can't feel the pull on the bike, but I can see she isn't running straight up like she should. I'm looking at ordering some of those things from cabelas to help protect her paws for now until she starts running level.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

erinago06
Newborn Bully

Postby erinago06 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Tried biking for the first time today. I have two dogs, and I took them separately. One did great, walked beside me and really enjoyed it. My other smaller pitbull ( 42 pounds ) was a little freaked out, and wanted to walk behind me, almost at the very end of the bike where's could not see her at all. How do you get her to be comfortable at my side? Also, neither tried at all to pull me. How do you encourage it to start adding a command to it? I am going to invest in the Walkydog and a padded harness as soon as I can. Does the Walkydog still allow the dogs to pull the bike if they want?

erinago06
Newborn Bully

Postby erinago06 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Ya I'll defiantly have to work on some biking commands. They seemed to understand if I wanted them I turn left or right, but turning around, or stopping, going faster, well have to work on :) I try go keep her on a short leash... Then I seem to end up biking one handed with the leash fully extended behind me pretty quickly. I know it will help to have a regular harness on her. The collar was freaking her out, pulling up and making her head lift way up.. They have some great biking/ outdoor equipment out there, just want to make sure I keep it up before I invest in it..

katoom400
Newborn Bully

Postby katoom400 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm

my girl loves going for a ride/run next to me with my walky dog. I have some gorilla tape on the post and you have to have it really tight....the attachment and the post, when she gets a squirl in her sights you have to be ready. I didn't trust the blue rope it came with so I replaced it with a piece of an old cable run I had. you can hear it squeaking when she pulls on it....I have since eliminated that by packing the inside with grease. when we encounter squirrels , deer, or bear I tell her to "leave it" and pedal through it till I regain her attention forward. she absolutely loves the bike...when I get her harness and say "zoom zoom" she runs to the bike and waits for me. I am very glad I found the walky dog...and so is she!

please excuse the crappy ending!http://youtu.be/EsjjKwg1FLs

Sparkles
Newborn Bully

Postby Sparkles » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Great info...I just took Violet on a bike ride today and couldn't quite figure the best way to do it...but this definitely helps.

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:10 am

That sounds awesome! I have an old schwinn that's rusty and wouldn't last very long on a trail...or with a pup pulling it along! That does sound like a lot of fun though. :D

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:00 pm

I did this for the first time with my boarder collie corgie mix today. It was really awesome! She did great staying with me and not pulling me off the bike. I only need to work with stopping and turning a little more but I feel like I could work my dog out a little more each day with this and I really appreciate you putting this up. You have amazing writing skills! Thank you :)

And even with my old schwinn, I could do it!!!!

jkad
Newborn Bully

Postby jkad » Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 pm

my dog and I bike together on a regular basis..
he can do 10 miles without any issues.

petty254
Newborn Bully

Postby petty254 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:56 am

This is so awesome, its also very important for the dogs.

Return to “Training and Behavior”