Trooper isn't feeling well

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Trooper isn't feeling well

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't know what's up with our boy, but he's not right. In the last month we've had him at the vet 3 times, about to be 4 (we have an appointment for Thursday).

The first was a comprehensive (he got two vaccines), the second and third times were for lumps. Of course we couldn't find all these things at the same time and had to keep going back. The first was a skin tag on his ribs, but it looked similar to the one Bailey had a couple years ago that turned out to be hermangiosarcoma-so I wanted to be sure. Then we found a lump on his neck. Immediately I thought about Chewbecca and Ella, so I had to have it checked out. Turns out it was a fatty tumor (they aspirated it...but they called it something else...cytology maybe) and it was too low to be a lymph node. Since those visits he's not as talkative as he normally is, he's laying down so much more that it's noticeable. He doesn't “need” to be walked...and he's typically the kind of dog that after a day or two of no activity he's looking for something to do in the house. He's more itchy than I'm used to seeing him...and seems like he might be shedding a little more than normal. He is more sleepy…as in more often and when he’s sleeping he’s harder to wake up and get going. He isn't engaging us in play. He had diarrhea for a couple days right around the first three vet visits, but we thought it was because of the vaccines and we switched their food from fish based to venison based...and we screwed up and waited until we ran out to do it. We thought maybe the venison was too rich (Bailey's was a little soft for a day or two too), and switched them back to the fish. Gave canned pumpkin, rice and pedylite for a few days and he went back to normal turds...but still seems subdued.

Austin took him for a bike ride last Wednesday and Trooper slowed down around the same time he normally would...but then slowed down so much (usually it's just to a trot) that Austin had to get off and walk the bike...then Trooper looked up at him and started stumbling. Austin helped him to lie down, got his chest wet and tried standing over him so he was shaded. He said 5-10 minutes into it Trooper hopped back up like he wanted to go again. So they started walking...and Trooper started walking funny...again they stopped. And this went on for about a quarter of a mile until Austin could get him in the actual shade. It wasn't any hotter than usual and it was around 7:30 at night. I was just getting out of class and Austin called and asked me to come get them. So I (hauled ass and) met up with them and drove Trooper home.

Last night Trooper woke us up twice to let him out, and he had diarrhea again. I just went home at lunch to let him out, and again soft serve. I know Trooper isn't a puppy and he could be slowing down due to his age (7 in Dec). And he's likely from a BYB, as he was dropped of at UF SAH in a box with his littermates. But his behavior coupled with the runny poop has me pretty concerned...and if he was slowing down due to age-would it really happen this quickly-within a month’s time?

Back in 2004 Austin and I were in Iraq where they told us we were more than likely exposed to leishmaniasis and to be aware of the symptoms. Neither one of us ever showed any symptoms. Is that something that can stay dormant for that many years, and then affect my dog? I didn't know back then it was something that could pass between person and pet. Additionally Trooper had to stop giving blood because they did a tick titer test that showed he had Bartonella. He was "treated" but now I'm reading there really isn't a treatment for it, just whatever the best antibiotic the vet thinks will work. Can something like that reoccur?

I'm aware that I'm a worry wart. Austin thinks he might just not be feeling well-it happens sometimes. He's getting older and maybe I am just noticing more that he's slowing down, and we have the foster dog. Maybe it's either stressing Trooper out-which doesn't seem like it, but who knows how he feels, or it has depressed him in some way. Any ideas or suggestions? On Thursday we’re going to ask that they do a fecal, and maybe some blood work-depending on what they say. Does anything stand out that I should ask for a specific test? I was on PetMD this morning and totally freaked myself out-e.coli, salmonella, heart/kidney defect/failure, babesiosis, leishmaniasis, crazy cancers and tumors, giardia, ect.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Trooper isn't feeling well

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm

It sounds like you are doing everything possible to find out what might be wrong with Trooper. I don't have any suggestions but will keep you all in my thoughts/prayers for a successful outcome and hope that Trooper is back to his old self soon.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Fingers crossed for you guys......... and warm wishes!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks ladies...last night he was his normal pain in the butt self. Screaming at me when I came home, and getting into trouble later in the night (we've been trying to keep him quiet until at least Thursday). I don't care if we go to the vet and they tell us absolutely nothing is wrong and he's a healthy as he can be...I'll at least have piece of mind then.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 am

glad he is feeling better!!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

Dropped Trooper off at the vet this morning. They just called and said the only thing that was out of the ordinary was a little more than usual bacteria in his fecal...but if he's had diahrea then that could be why. They were going to put him on antibiotics just to be safe, but the more Austin talked with the vet and explained he's been pretty normal the last couple of days-they decided not to...just a "keep an eye on him and bring him back if anything changes".

Okay, I feel better. *sigh* Austin was right. Dogs can sometimes have "off" days too.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Return to Health Issues