Hello from KY

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from KY

Postby atbarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello people, I'm considering a Pit Bull puppy. A friend of mine (his wife is a Vet) says he has a friend that wants to give his Pit Bull puppies to a good home.

I'm almost 67 and my wife is almost 64. We have no other dogs, but do have a 8 year old male cat that adopted us. This dog will be an inside the home pet, just like the cat. We have a large fenced back yard, where he/she can run off some energy.

Questions please, is the female less aggressive than the male? Which ever we get, will be spayed or neutered.

I'm retired so I'm home almost all the time, my wife is still working.

Is this a smart move on my part, to raise a Pit Bull puppy?

I appreciate any comments.
atbarr
Newborn Bully

Hello from KY

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 pm

Welcome!

To answer your questions, I guess it would help if you clarify what you mean by "aggression". Pitbulls are prone to dog aggression but I would say it affects males and females both. This trait is exhibited in all terrier breeds.

A properly raised, well socialized, properly bred Pitbull shouldn't show aggression towards humans but I would say the same about any breed of dog.

Pitbulls range from very busy, driven and active to complete couch potatoes. In her younger days, I'm sure my Pitbull was quite a spitfire in terms of her energy level. In comparison, my current foster is only a grade or two above a slug as far as energy level is concerned.

If you can accept the potential for future dog aggression and be willing to manage it, and you're looking for a dog who will devote himself to you entirely, than this might be the dog for you.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Hello from KY

Postby atbarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Allison, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions. My wife and I don't want to bring a dog into our life and then are not able to control it. I've owed several dogs in the past, and I know they become a part of the family almost immediately. We want companionship, and yes a watch dog for us when we get old. <g> I just don't want to hurt a dogs feelings. I'm not sure if I'm making myself plane, we want a long lasting relationship.

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Welcome!

To answer your questions, I guess it would help if you clarify what you mean by "aggression". Pitbulls are prone to dog aggression but I would say it affects males and females both. This trait is exhibited in all terrier breeds.

A properly raised, well socialized, properly bred Pitbull shouldn't show aggression towards humans but I would say the same about any breed of dog.

Pitbulls range from very busy, driven and active to complete couch potatoes. In her younger days, I'm sure my Pitbull was quite a spitfire in terms of her energy level. In comparison, my current foster is only a grade or two above a slug as far as energy level is concerned.

If you can accept the potential for future dog aggression and be willing to manage it, and you're looking for a dog who will devote himself to you entirely, than this might be the dog for you.
atbarr
Newborn Bully

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Pit bulls are terriers so prey drive is usually high, raising a puppy with a cat does not mean they will get along forever, this breed is also particularly terrible at "guarding" anything, although many will alert bark and their appearance will deter many people. Personally for your situation I would skip a puppy, they are a crap shoot, you have no idea their energy level or prey drive or anything. I have one easy going couch potato who likes other dogs and ok with cats and two that need a workout and are considerably stronger (harder to hold back if they decide to chase a squirrel or whatever), these two are also iffy to dog aggressive, one is good with small animals and the other is not. All are good with people. I do have a cat, the dogs are trained to ignore her and they rarely interact, the cat hangs out upstairs and the dogs stay downstairs with us.

Also everybody and their brother wants to dump their backyard bred pit puppies on "a good home", the shelters and rescues are full of them, if you decide this breed is right for you adopting an adult dog with a known temperament would be better choice.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Good post GoingPostal!

Welcome to you and your wife! I'm glad you are here to research before diving in. Pit bull type dogs come in all types. They can grow up to be very dog/cat friendly, only dog friendly, only good with other animals, dog selective, or dog aggressive. Human friendly is the only real consistent trait. They also come in all kinds of energy levels. I have one that is a couch potato. She literally only gets up or moves to eat and potty. My other is very high energy, lots of prey drive, and has to be exercised a lot. They both are good with cats and dogs, but no other critters. Most pit bull type dogs suck horribly at "protection". Mine will give a warning bark if someone knocks, but I would never expect them to protect me. My advice would also be to look at adopting an adult or young adult that has proven to be cat friendly and matches your energy levels. This way you know exactly what you are getting :)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:
Welcome to PBF
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Introductions