It never rains but it pours ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

It never rains but it pours ...

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:35 pm

We went to the vet today to have him look at Peanut's swollen toe.

I then showed him a place on her belly where she keeps getting a scab. She isn't messing with it but the scab falls off and leaves a dark place and then forms again. If you mess with it it bleeds. He said she has a mass there and she needs it to be taken off! There isn't a lump. We're getting it taken off and sent off to be checked on Friday. He said he could take it off with a local today, but Peanut wiggles too much so it's Friday am with a sedative. They'll give her the sedative, take off the whateverit is and reverse the sedation. They said it would take about an hour. I'm worried about the Nut Nut!

My friend who went with me said it also could be a tick head that is stuck and won't heal. I dunno we haven't ever seen any ticks on her.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Re: It never rains but it pours ...

Postby Shoshana » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 am

So I went back to look at pictures and this is the first one I have of it. I thought she poked herself on a scratchy weed or something. But I took a pic anyway.

Then the scab fell off and left a dark mark, not raised. And one day when I was playing with her I saw

And thought she scratched herself somehow. That formed a scab and eventually fell off too. Now the scab is back and about to come off again I think. It's bleeding. I honestly didn't realize till this weekend that it was happening in the same place over and over. I feel really stupid and hope hope hope it's nothing serious but I am so scared it is.

I need to take a current picture.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Murfins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 am

Sending lots of positive thoughts!
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 am

Peanut is in my thoughts. I hope it is nothing serious! I probably wouldn't even notice something like that on either of my dogs. Hoping her toe is healed up soon as well.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 am

The black that scabs and bleeds and heals again sounds like cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. This is not to be confused with internal hemangiosarcoma because the skin form rarely metastasizes and is usually cured with surgical removal. Hopefully the histopathology agrees with me, because this is a good diagnosis, and will be much easier when its gone.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shoshana » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks y'all! I do appreciate all the help and support.

I will start researching!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Good thoughts sent for Peanut!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Hoping it's nothing serious!!!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shoshana » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 am

Thank you! She is going in in a few hours and hopefully everything will be taken care of....
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:The black that scabs and bleeds and heals again sounds like cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. This is not to be confused with internal hemangiosarcoma because the skin form rarely metastasizes and is usually cured with surgical removal. Hopefully the histopathology agrees with me, because this is a good diagnosis, and will be much easier when its gone.

The results came back today and that's what it was. He said he got it all. And we don't need to do anything else but get the stitch out next week and keep a close eye for any new ones.

And don't let her sunbathe belly up. Which to tell the truth she doesn't do - we have always been careful about her sunbathing because of her pink nose. And because it's so hot here she gets walked early in the am and at night.

Does having this predispose her to the more serious version?
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm so glad your Peanut is ok!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Bailey had the same thing!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149075&hilit=bailey+cancer
I didn't completely understand the report we got back so I posted it here...sounds like it isn't uncommon for it to come back only in a different spot.

Not sure about making her more predisposed to the other kind.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Thank you! I am still nervous because I read too much on the internet!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:24 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Bailey had the same thing!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149075&hilit=bailey+cancer
I didn't completely understand the report we got back so I posted it here...sounds like it isn't uncommon for it to come back only in a different spot.

Not sure about making her more predisposed to the other kind.

I saw you mention it on the other forum but didn't know where to find the post! TY for linking!

How is Bailey? No more icky spots? Peanut was a rescue dog so I don't have any info on her background either.

I need to get a copy of the actual report - vet called me at 8am and honestly, that's before my coffee has kicked in....
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Bailey's doing well. She has this weird skin tag on her elbow that we get checked out every time we go, but they always tell us not to worry about. I hate it. Sometimes it looks shriveled and like an itty bitty witches finger...and other times it looks like it's full of blood and could pop at any minute...and there've been times when that's happened. I just imagine it's uncomfortable...but she never messes with it or seems concerned about it. I read too much on the internet too, so I just try to do what the vet says. I'd hate to put her under to remove it simply because I don't like the way it looks.

When the vet said cancerous-I'm pretty sure it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher to me after that-wah wah wahn. He could have told me I won the lottery and I wouldn't have heard him...so I felt good about having the report-thinking I could go home and read it...but then it was in another language.

We check them regularly for weird lumps and bumps (we don't always get them all at the same time-as you could tell from the post about Trooper)...and since we're on the Banfield plan and don't have to pay office visit fees, we take them in anytime we think something is important.

The other hemangiosarcoma is frightening...it basically sounds like you have no idea your dog has it until it dies. WTH? (see, things like that are the reason I'm as crazy as I am about my dogs)
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues