Weird leg bump popped and came back

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby BellaNSophiesMom » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone has seen something like this before, not searching for a diagnosis because we won't know what it is without a biopsy. :-)

Bella had this weird leg bump ever since we got her last September from a shelter. It's on her right leg, sort of on the inside of her "wrist" bone. Well, a few weeks ago, Bella and Sophie got into it pretty good and the bump popped INSIDE of her leg! Before this, the lump was always fairly hard and seemed attached to something under the skin. Really, the best way to describe it is it felt like a rubber marble...never hurt her, never grew. It just sat there.

Anyhow, she was limping pretty bad the next day so we took her to the vet and he tried to aspirate it, but all that was left was a hollow place in her leg. We got antibiotics as a precaution since she was limping and seemed to be in pain. Her leg was a little bit warm to the touch. Vet said whatever the stuff was that popped would come back and refill the pocket --- and it did. He didn't seemed very concerned, just said he would try later to aspirate it. Keep an eye on it if it suddenly gets huge or something. To me, it seems to be growing fast only because it never grew before. It's still smaller than the original bump, however.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this? According to her records, she'll be about 2 on Sept. 16, and like I said, we've had her the entire time she's had it. Even shows in her "shelter photo."

Here's a photo of it before it popped. Her leg is not swollen here at the joint, it was just the way I was holding it. But you can clearly see the lump.

BellaNSophiesMom
Newborn Bully

Re: Weird leg bump popped and came back

Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm

It kinda looks like the ganglion cyst I used to get on my wrist. I fell and landed on it and it popped (painful!) and then came right back. I don't know if dogs get them tho.

Was your dog always in Texas?
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby BellaNSophiesMom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:22 am

I have no idea about her past. We scooped her up from a kill shelter and gave her love. :-)

We thought it might be a ganglion cyst too!! People called them bible cysts, I think, because they'd smack em with a heavy book to make them go away. I've heard dogs can get them, it's just rare. She's so young (and was so young when we got her) that any other option seemed too crazy! Lol
BellaNSophiesMom
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues