TTA surgery for Riley - tips?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby PitFriend » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Riley is scheduled for an ACL repair (TTA procedure) on Wednesday. Not sure exactly how the tear occurred, but she has had mild patellar luxation in the same knee for many years and (probably unwisely) has been allowed to jump on/off furniture. So I'm guessing a combo of degradation of tissues due to age and twisting the leg a bit during a jump off the bed was probably what did it.

I trust my veterinarian immensely in these sorts of situations, but Riley is 10 years old and even though she's in good overall health I'm still very worried about her undergoing such a major procedure. She will have to spend two nights at the vet clinic post-op, and considering that she has not spent a night away from home since her spay at 7 months of age, I'm ridiculously anxious.

I understand she will need to remain mostly immobile after surgery, and I have a crate ready to go. It's been years since she's spent any length of time in a crate, but when she was younger she was used to spending several hours a day in one, so I hope with a bit of coaching (started reintroducing today) she will adjust easily.

Would appreciate any help with what to expect post-surgery. Tips on how to make Riley as comfortable as possible? What's normal, what should I freak out about? Things like that. Thanks in advance!
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Re: TTA surgery for Riley - tips?

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Riddle had her second TTA surgery six weeks ago. I've been keeping a journal on her recovery here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153960

Hopefully that helps a little!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 pm

^^ Really good thread! :thumbsup:

Molly had different surgeries but I think the initial recovery needs (first 2 weeks until stitches/staples are removed) are pretty similar. We were never able to successfully crate train Molly so for confinement, we borrowed an X-pen rather than try to put her through the stress of crating. I doubled up some of the panels with zip ties so that the area was smaller and put the X-pen against our bed and a wall so she could be close to us. I also got an orthopedic foam mattress for her to sleep on in the X-pen.

I liked being able to keep a water dish in the X-pen because the post-op drug regimen made her a bit thirsty. I don't know if others have experienced this but Molly also cold not hold her pee as long as normal (even with factoring in the slight increase in water intake) so I put extra blankets on top of her bed that were easier to change out in case she leaked a little. I think the combo of tramadol and metacam for two weeks had some affect on her bladder control.

I kept her busy with frozen kongs (cottage cheese + green beans) and of course, reduced her food intake since she was sedentary.

She was able to use the cheap, fabric cone provided by the vet, but rather than keeping the cone up, I flipped it down so that she could still move comfortably, drink out of the water dish and the cone sort of draped over her body to deter her from licking the stitches whenever she curled up to sleep.

Good luck to you and Riley!!
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for the responses! Riley's surgery went very well, and she came home this morning her typical happy, wiggly self (toned down just a notch or two). Charlotte, I'm glad you mentioned the cone b/c it reminded me that the last time Riley had stitches and staples she managed to tear them all out, even with a cone! So after discussion with the vet we decided to keep the knee/incision lightly wrapped for now. Otherwise, everything seems to be progressing normally. Whew! :)
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Good wishes for a totally quiet, uneventful recovery and hugs to you - I know how hard it is to not worry about every little thing. Give Riley some smooches from me.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh, I just remembered the other really important thing: for the places where we have wood and linoleum flooring, we put non-skid rug liners on the floor so that Molly wouldn't slip once she was able to walk around the house. I think it did help her and certainly gave me more peace of mind.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:54 pm

mtlu wrote:Oh, I just remembered the other really important thing: for the places where we have wood and linoleum flooring, we put non-skid rug liners on the floor so that Molly wouldn't slip once she was able to walk around the house. I think it did help her and certainly gave me more peace of mind.

I got dog socks with rubber feet for Riddle while we were at my mom's house, where there are hardwood floors. She looked really pathetic but they worked. lol

Here's hoping Riley's recovery is uneventful!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues