Mange or just thin hair?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mange or just thin hair?

Postby laceylynn1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey guys! I've had my boy, Cole, for 10 months now (he just turned 1) and he has always had really thin hair around his eyes and behind his ears. I've never seen it as an issue since it's always been this way, but someone asked me the other day if he had mange. Since I've had him, he's been to get neutered and no one ever mentioned to me that it could possibly be a cause of mange. Also, our trainer tells me that she doesn't think it is mange (she's been working with the APBT breed for 12 years) and that some of the breed are actually just a little more thin haired than others in these spots. I think I am just posting this to get some input and maybe a little peace of mind seeing as I can't get him to the vet for a week (we are on vacation in Cape Cod and our vet is in Atlanta)... Any input is appreciated, even if it is bad news! I am posting pictures from the day I got him (the white bumps are healing flea bites) all the way to a picture I took today. The skin may look red in some pictures, but it is usually white (when his skin is red it cause he's hot or really excited or it could be due to lighting). Thank you for your time! :crybaby:

laceylynn1
Newborn Bully

Re: Mange or just thin hair?

Postby Leslie H » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:32 pm

My opinion, is that if you haven't seen the changes typical w/demodex (worsening ages 4-6 months or so, improving at age 10-11 months), then it's probably not mange.
Leslie H
Regulator

Mange or just thin hair?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 pm

If you're worried, a skin scrape should be able to tell. We recently had an English bulldog show up with demodex at 11-12 months of age.

Cute pup!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Grendel developed mange at about 18 months so it is possible.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 am

It's always good to have the vet check it out, but my Chloé is like that. Around her eyes and behind her ears are pretty bald, but her skin is dark so you can't really tell. Her tummy has only tiny peach fuzz. I thought Thor was a baldy, but she has way less hair then him, not just in the places I mentioned, but even her "normal" hair is way shorter and thinner than his. She does have allergies so some of the behind the ears is due to scratching, but she's been that way since we got her at <7 weeks.
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby laceylynn1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah, Cole has been this way since 6 weeks. I'm also pretty sure he has allergies, too. I'm going to be back home Sunday and I'm definitely going to take him to the vet then, just in case. I'm sure he is fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! Thanks for all the input everyone!
laceylynn1
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I had wondered a bit about that around his eyes, but I don't know anything about mange. I guess it is best to have your vet check him out. He sure is a handsome fellow. I LOVE his look.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby laceylynn1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I know, I never really thought anything about his eyes until someone said something to me. I got him when he was in pretty rough condition. He was 6 weeks, body covered in fleas and had a belly full of worms. It was so sad. So I took him to the vet then and they fixed him up, I got his shots 2 weeks later and then again 2 weeks after that and no one ever said anything until 10 months later to me about his eyes and ears this weekend. :crybaby: I'm sure he is ok, I just really want to be home so I can take him to get checked! I'm also hoping it isn't too expensive to take him because I just spent $3000 re-carpeting my home since he decided to chew holes in the old carpet. I've got a trouble maker on my hands, it's a good thing he's cute and I love him! lol
laceylynn1
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Boss is like that too. Always has been and he doesn't have mange

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Amie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:14 am

Liberty actually is bald on her belly, inner thighs, throat and behind her ears. She feels like suede.

Neutering has nothing to do with mange (I'm not even sure why that came up) but if you're concerned, you can talk to a vet about symptoms, causes and solutions, and determine what you want your next step to be.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Breezy833 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:32 am

appa is like that too, just a really thin coat. its thin near his shoulders too. He also has puppy acne (wth) but our vet doesnt seem to be concerned. He's growing really fast and i think his fur just hasnt caught up yet. Apparently blues are prone to skin irritation and issues though. good luck!
Breezy833
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues