Favorite Names that are NOT over used!

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Re: Favorite Names that are NOT over used!

Postby Zagari » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 am

We always had the hardest time coming up with names. Then again, it seemed like I was the only one who cared about naming the animals.

Some that stick out in my head are Nigel, Nikita, Scarlett, Brylee, Jelly, Bean, Bumble, and Bee. The last four were littermates. Oh, Big Mac and Marlow!
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:31 am

Flotsam & Jetsam
Sundae
Benny & Joone
Castor & Pollox
Levi (blue dog)
Denim (also blue dog)

and as to the bonded pair thing - we never allow puppies to be adopted together so that solves that quandry. I used to work so hard to try and come up with names that were unique and fitting but now I just name them whatever. Sometimes we work with themes and sometimes the themes blend like Tombstone (wrangler, cowboy, Holiday, outlaw) was both part of my cowboy phase that bled into my Halloween (with pagan, phantom, spirit, bones and goblin) and the Cowboys bled in from my gun theme (magnum, colt, remington, gunny). Then Camo who was a red merle mix led to a military theme
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm

We had an orange and white cat come in the other day named Creamsicle. I thought it was cute, and haven't seen that one in about 2 years. I know, surprising that it isn't common.

Destiny, Serenity, Goblin (it was a little fuzzy mixed breed something), Zero, Yettie (Chow mix)...

I will keep an eye out for some different ones!
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:33 am

We named an English Bulldog Cheerio last week. We were going for something sort of British sounding, but it turned out she was buff and white, so it worked out both on the stereotypical and coloring fronts. lol
Amie
Regulator

Postby sickmonkey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Here are some out of a list I found
Rooster, Bingo, Ticker, Afbis, Melon, Roman, Carter, Cobie, Jubal, Slany, Bethel, Flory, Sultan, Dimply, Donut, Strudel, Porkpie, Kiwi, Goggles
sickmonkey
Newborn Bully

Favorite Names that are NOT over used!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm

We had the foster (Harley) at the vet and someone mentioned that one of the vet techs just adopted a English Bulldog and named him Tater...I misheard and thought she said Vader and thought it was genius! If we ever own a noisy bulldog-girl or boy-it's name will be Vader.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby CallSignOWL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm

I really like the goofy, off the wall type names. I really want to name a dog Sharkbait!

I also have the following on a "List of Names" : Placebo, Spork and Noodle, Wisk, ZigZag, Smurf, Jello, Disco, YoYo, Dartboard, Speedboat, Wombat, Tweezer, Ukulele, Chainsaw, Kangaroo, Bubbles, and TaterTot

I also know of a cat named Dartos "because it sounds cool". The weird part is that "dartos" is a muscle in the human scrotum!! roflmao (yay for med-students!)
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby Zagari » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I really want a cat name D-Con. I heard it on another forum. It was someone's barn cat and ever since then I've wanted it for one of my cats.

Some other favorites: Atom, Denali, Rawhide, Renegade, Rugby, Shakespeare, Ninja, Fearless, Cowboy, Samba, Eowyn, Roderick, Drover, Eden, Rosalind, Quinci, Guinevere, Cayden, Berlin, Velcro, Azrael, Confetti, Graffiti, Mr. Grinch.
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby HersheyBear » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

I don't know about anyone else, but when there's multiple animals that need names, I like using "themes". For example, a "food" theme:

Cannoli
Butterscotch
Tiramisu
Noodles

etc!
HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby CallSignOWL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 am

I love coming up with names! I have a good dozen or so themes, each with multiple names underneath. Yes, Im a nerd! lol :beer:
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 pm

I just named a kitty brought in by animal control Toast. :) The kitten didn't like the name Pancake, so IT jokingly called her French Toast and she ran over and rubbed on the cage bars.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 am

Rodrik - tons of other Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire names :tongue:

I always thought Evander was a cute name, at the shelter we had a Pit Bull puppy seized from a owner who cropped his ears with scissors. His name was Kilo (owners were also drug dealers) so we renamed him Evander.

I like the name Dunken for a black Labrador.

Some other random ones on my list (I keep a list of names I'd like to use eventually :3 )

Vex (female)
Banner
Crowley
Stark (Not sure whether to go with Tony or house Stark... I'd love a combo though http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma4za ... o1_500.jpg)
Wade (Deadpool... )
Akatora (for a Asian Spitz breed)
Radagast
Azog (for a large muscular white dog)
Edward (for a small dog with major big dog syndrome)
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby CallSignOWL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am

I cant post all of my nimes Ive come up with....It would be too long!! roflmao
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby CallSignOWL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am

here are just the A names....

A(sklepi)os
Abrams
Accipiter (hawk)
Achilles
Acinaces (saber)
Adonis
Ægis
Ærie
Aietum (osprey)
Ajax
Alati (winged)
Albus (white)
Amoeba
Amon
Andabata
Antonius
Apollo
Aquilla (eagle)
Arcadia
Archer
Ares
Argos
Armalite
Artemis
Ashur(a)
Asoka
Athena
Atlantis
Atlas
Atom
Aton
Attica
Augustus
Aura (breeze)
Autumnus
Axe
Aztec
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby Zagari » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:Stark (Not sure whether to go with Tony or house Stark... I'd love a combo though http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma4za ... o1_500.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

At our shelter, we named a kitten Stark. After Tony. I don't really like the name alone, but we couldn't reuse the name Tony. We had an amazing kitten called Tony that had to be euthanized due to illness. Everyone was so attached to him. His name was retired. Anyhow, Stark's littermates and mama were all named after superheros (or a villian). Parker, Wolverine, Thor and Mystique.

Names I have chosen for future animals.

Magenta
Buccaneer
Buckaroo
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers