Itchy butt

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Itchy butt

Postby Siberian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Sheba has started doing this thing lately (maybe few months): she will come up to me, and start bumping her rear into my leg. Not under the tail part, but more like the lower back (where back meets the tail). Ultimately, she wants me to scratch it, and when I do, she is over the moon happy. If my leg is not available, she finds somehting else to throw herself against: couch, corner of the wall, our toddler...

While I am happy to scratch it for her when I can, I am curious what could be causing it. One version I have heard that it might be fleas, but she is on flea prevention. Her coat looks great, and she doesn't really scratch herself anywhere else. Suggestions? Remedies to try? She is currently on limited ingredient food: http://acana.com/products/duck-bartlett-pear (maybe there is somehting in the contents that is a known allergen?)

Thanks.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Re: Itchy butt

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Lady bug does this lol I thought maybe worms or fleas, but she is clear of both. Her coat is beautiful and doesn't scratch anywhere else. She makes some crazy faces and chatters when I scratch or just rub it.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Itchy butt

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Perhaps an environmental allergy? You could try an antihistamine.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Jordie does this too and although it's worse during his allergy seasons he will do it at any time - I think it just feels really good. As long as he's not having any other signs of allergy flare up and is not actually uncomfortable my vet said not to worry about it, just give him a good butt scratch ... and honestly what dog doesn't love a good butt scratch! lol
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shoshana » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Pretty much every dog I know loves the scratch right in front of their tail. Some get pretty addicted to having it scratched.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 pm

that is the area/spot where their mom's licked them when they were born to stimulate their nursing reflex. I have seen dogs, cats and horses all do that , probably lot of others do it as well. if you ever get the chance to watch them being born, pay attention how the mom will lick to stimulate them at that spot if they don't nurse on their own. (it is like a comfort spot to them probably when they 'ask' us to do it)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Siberian » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:25 pm

So maybe I should look into psychological reasons rather than physical? :)

pblove wrote:that is the area/spot where their mom's licked them when they were born to stimulate their nursing reflex. I have seen dogs, cats and horses all do that , probably lot of others do it as well. if you ever get the chance to watch them being born, pay attention how the mom will lick to stimulate them at that spot if they don't nurse on their own. (it is like a comfort spot to them probably when they 'ask' us to do it)
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Return to Health Issues