Lymphoma

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Lymphoma

Postby PitFriend » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 am

Pipersmom - In terms of diet, when you're dealing with lymphoma and other cancers I learned it's very important to reduce sugars (complex carbohydrates). So at first I stopped feeding kibble altogether and switched to a home cooked diet high in protein and low in carbs. We fed Downie a lot of egg, ground beef, and turkey, with small amounts of fish (she loved sardines!), cottage cheese, and pureed veggies for variety. No grains at all. We supplemented with fatty acids, Omegas 3 & 9, and antioxidants. Later I ended up doing a mix of home cooked and high quality, grain-free kibble.

I didn't know about The Honest Kitchen at the time, but their Embark formula looks great.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry. I pray that Piper responds well to the treatment
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:48 am

I am SO sorry. You have done all the right things for your sweet girl and continue to do so. Good thoughts to you and Piper and family. I know how shocking it is.

big hug... I remember the canine cancer group being on yahoo forums...
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 am

Just checking in on you an Piper, hope you're doing well.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby LuckyLeo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Hope the treatment works, I wish you all the best! Don't think it's the food since my dog was raised on Pedigree, he was 13 1/2 yrs old when I had to put him down...he was too weak for treatment.
LuckyLeo
Newborn Bully

Postby pipersmom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:12 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Just checking in on you an Piper, hope you're doing well.

Thanks for thinking of us! :hug: Piper goes for her second chemo treatment tomorrow. We are both holding up ok. She tolerated her 1st round of chemo well so we hope that it stays that way.
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Shoshana » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Sending more healing thoughts!
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby pipersmom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Picture the Oncology Tech took of Piper during her 2nd chemo treatment
She's rocking her Cali Girl Collar she won in the auction to help Zoey. It's her good luck charm.
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Lymphoma

Postby mtlu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Many good wishes for Piper!
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

AWWW she is beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with you and Piper. I will be thinking of you both.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Piper looks good.Continued good wishes and prayers for you both.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby pipersmom » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Feeling a little depressed and overwhelmed after Piper's second visit to the oncologist. At the first visit, they gave Piper Elspar. At this visit, she suggested we continue treatment with the CCNU protocol instead of the Wisconson protocol because some of her symptoms point to the lymphoma being in her Central Nervous System. She said the CCNU crosses the blood/brain barrier better which is needed if the lymphoma is in the CNS. All my research tells me that CCNU(which is just a single chemo drug and not a cocktail like the Wisconson Protocol is) is not as effective and the remisssion rates are shorter. BUT if it is in the CNS, the Wisconson Protocol won't do much. I'm just so confused about what is the best for my girl. 4 days after her second treatment, she is back to acting like herself which she hasn't been for weeks. I just want the most time and best quality of life for Piper.
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am

It sounds terribly overwhelming. I'm so sorry you are going through this with your beautiful Piper. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 am

pipersmom wrote:Feeling a little depressed and overwhelmed after Piper's second visit to the oncologist. At the first visit, they gave Piper Elspar. At this visit, she suggested we continue treatment with the CCNU protocol instead of the Wisconson protocol because some of her symptoms point to the lymphoma being in her Central Nervous System. She said the CCNU crosses the blood/brain barrier better which is needed if the lymphoma is in the CNS. All my research tells me that CCNU(which is just a single chemo drug and not a cocktail like the Wisconson Protocol is) is not as effective and the remisssion rates are shorter. BUT if it is in the CNS, the Wisconson Protocol won't do much. I'm just so confused about what is the best for my girl. 4 days after her second treatment, she is back to acting like herself which she hasn't been for weeks. I just want the most time and best quality of life for Piper.

Start with CCNU, and if its not effective, transition to Wisconsin. Trust your oncologist, they do this every day.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby pipersmom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Update on Piper. After a couple of talks with my regualr vet and our onco we decided to switch chemo protocols to the Madison Wisconson CHOP. The hubby and I feel better about this than the original plan of just a single chemo drug. She had her 3rd chemo treatment on Thursday. So far she is doing great. Her bloodwork was normal and her lymphnodes are back down to normal range. The chemo seems to be doing it's job. No side effects so far. Her energy may be a little less than before cancer but she is still playing, eating, and enjoying life with a spark in her eyes!
pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues