Help Crazy Woman next door

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jomama12341
Newborn Bully

Postby jomama12341 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am

Ok I wish to apologize if this is in the . There's a crazy woman that lives next door and my dogs are in danger.

Ok I will explain in this story.I am the Alpha Male in my household .I had a Catahoula Male (Jackal) he was 2. We decided to get a playmate for him. We spent weeks going to different shelters before we found a female pitbull/boxer mix(Goldy). Both animals got along and were spade and neutered.Goldy was an adult female approximately 3 years old. She was gentle around my 1 year old daughter and submissive to Jackal.
Each dog had a separate food and water bowl and meal times were monitored to prevent any kind of food aggression.While my wife or I was at home the dogs were inside.If we were gone the went into our backyard with our 8 foot privacy fence.Well one day I get this call from my wife telling me "I don't know how to tell you this but Jackals dead" . My heart broke. We had Goldy put down the next day. She had been in our family for 8 months. I figured well I didn't hand raise her that's why she spazzed out. I had this gaping hole in my heart and didn't want ANY dog . Well 3 months later I'm on my way home from work and get a call from my wife telling me she got a dog. Just what I didn't want. I tolerated the new puppy but wasn't ready in my heart yet. Well one day I get home and my wife tells me she caught the neighbor woman throwing meat over the fence.......Hmmm... Could I have lost a my best friend due to food aggression caused by my neighbor? I was boiling Mad.To keep me from saying anything we would regret my wife went over and talked to the woman.Several weeks later my wife catches her again this time I cussed her out and she seemed to stop. It has been several years and I finally was ready to get a dog my pitbull Rusty. So I let the dogs out and I see Bella run at the fence in an excited but silent method . A piece of food came flying over and I ran to the fence.in my boxers and cussed the lady out. So what can I do?

jomama12341
Newborn Bully

Re: Help Crazy Woman next door

Postby jomama12341 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 am

I can't put restraining Order on my neighbor. What would keep her from tossing it from her doorstep?
I doubt it would be legal for me to mace her next time I catch her in the act.Besides what if she gets mad and poisons them?
Sorry for the double post I'm using my Android and have to type it in text message cut and paste and am limited to the number of words I can type.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 am

Stop leaving your dogs outside unattended. You're knowingly putting them in danger.

Also, read this article. It discusses why the "alpha", "pack leader" stuff is nonsense, as proven by science:

http://www.peaceablepaws.com/articles.php?subaction=showfull&id=1282179405&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&type=Pat

jomama12341
Newborn Bully

Postby jomama12341 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 am

I no longer do I keep Bella and Rusty in the laundry room while I am away.the went outside with me for there morning pee session after they wake up.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:43 am

WHY did you put down Goldy??? YOU set her up to fail and she had to pay the price with her own life. Both of them did. So unfair.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 am

I can only say I agree with Allison and you'll just have to be out with your dogs.

Perhaps your neighbor is mentally unstable. I had a neighbor that insisted on feeding the other neighbor's dog a whole chicken skin each time he'd bbq. If you cannot convince her to stop throwing meat over your fence you will just have to be there when your dogs are outside.

I have had many different neighbors at the property behind me as it is a rental. I have had to leash my dog in my own yard at times because of dogs they had tied to my fence. One year I had to walk my property each and every time I let them out because of trash thrown over the fence. I've just recently found two very long, hard but bendable pieces of big wire in my yard (would have hurt my dog if they ran into while playing)...there are also a bunch of unsupervised, small children that find it a real kick to get my dogs up at the fence gate and barking...it does suck to have to be out every minute they want to be out but it is what it is and they are more important to me than anything.

I hope you can get it worked out and keep your Rusty safe and sound.

jomama12341
Newborn Bully

Postby jomama12341 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for listing to my story and especially I thank everyone for there comments.
Since I got Rusty a few weeks ago I have spent every second out side he spends.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I was trying to think of a way you could make your fence more secure but reread and see it is 8 ft privacy so not sure what else you could do.

I have 6 ft privacy and then at the back I put wire fencing up higher and tilted it inward because one of my dogs could leap up there and hang over but they can still throw stuff over.

I even saw one boy perched on top of my fence last week like he was ready to jump into the yard!! We were all in the house but I yelled through the window "what are you doing?" and he jumped down. I went to look and see if one of their toys was in the yard or something but no. So my Bf tells me that when he was a kid they would dare each other to jump into people's yards that have dogs!! :insert eyeroll here: Like that is something else I need to worry about now! Dang neighbors!

jomama12341
Newborn Bully

Postby jomama12341 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Bella and Rusty waiting for me to finish soaking in the tub.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

lol Nice to have company!! lol

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm

My thoughts,
Instead of yelling and cussing at the neighbor, be pro-active. Walk over there when you know she is home (with out your dogs) and calmly explain that they can't have her "special treats". Tell her it's because of medical reasons and they are on a very strict diet per your vet and extras can make him/her/them very sick. Tell her you don't want them to spoil their supper, or that one could get jealous of the other. In this case it may be a good idea to "humanize" the dogs a bit, it may help her understand.
If it doesn't work, at least you tried to handle it in a civil manner.

Also, never leave them out unattended. Ever. It's just a necessary procedure in a multi-dog household to prevent incidents.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I've had birds drop hamburgers in my yard, right at my dog's feet(should have seen the look on my dog's face lol!). There's no way to keep food from accidentally entering your yard. Dogs will fight over more than just food.

I hope there was a better reason for you putting Goldie down than your other dog losing the fight. You didn't explain why you put her down.

A dog being aggressive with another dog has no bearings on it's friendliness towards humans.

You also don't know if Goldy was the one who started the fight. It could have been the other one and he just couldn't finish it. That happens all the time.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm

If this neighbor is persistently throwing meat and you had a dog die in your yard, I would be far more concerned that she is throwing them something toxic than her possibly causing food aggression. Next time she throws the meat -- if you can -- grab it and get it tested for poison. She MAY just be being nice, or she may not. If the latter, you will have legit grounds to get her ass in trouble. If the former, well, I'd start throwing it back. lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 pm

You were wrong to put Goldy down.............. 8( I'm too mad to look - did someone post the 'never trust a DOG not to fight' sticky? And the neighbor is infuriating....hope you can resolve it and you must stay vigilant!

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:09 pm

When your wife went and talked to her what did the woman say? Did she say she is just being nice and giving them treats? Or did she get defensive or deny doing it? If she was just giving treats perhaps she likes them and maybe you could have a day a week where she can play with them? Maybe she's a lonely person? As others have said though you can tell her no treats because of their 'special vet prescription diet' now if she is an angry person I would definitely make a police report next time you see her do it. Maybe get a security camera to catch her doing it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”