Not pooping, weird drool. Blockage? Stress?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby EmmaLove » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Debating whether Emma needs an E-vet, or if I can wait until morning....

Yesterday she had diarrhea all day, but has been eating & drinking normally.  A couple times right before I took her out to potty she had a long thick drool hanging from her mouth.  But that stopped when she got out and pottied.

Only odd food-related things i can think of are that I had been giving her extra treats the last couple days, and about 2 or 3 days ago she snatched up a bone of some sort on our walk.  I pulled it out of her mouth as fast as I could, but she may still have ingested some.

So last night I only gave her a tiny bit of her kibble and a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin.

Today she seems a little less active than normal (which isn't much to begin with) and she has not pooped at all (she regularly goes twice, am & pm), but she is peeing normally and she did eat & drink normal (though I still limited her food and added pumpkin).  

But both this morning and tonight when I took her out to potty, she had that drool thing again.
I'm worried about blockage and other serious things.  But she is eating fine, so I don't know what to think.

She does take rimadyl usually daily for back/hip pain, but I skipped it today in case it would upset her tummy.  So maybe her hips hurt and the drooling is pain?

Also she is a fearful dog and is on meds (Clomipramine daily, and Clonidine as needed), and we've travelled a few times this month (no place unusual or exotic, just from Spokane to Portland)-  so I wonder if she's just stressed from the back and forth and changes to her environment.

Thoughts?

EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Hmmm you know her best. She's not vomiting and the lack of a bowel movement could be just because she hasn't been eating well. The drooling is odd but anytime the behavior is off, I err on the side of caution.

Hope it's nothing serious!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Not pooping, weird drool. Blockage? Stress?

Postby EmmaLove » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks Allison :).  It appears I jumped to worry too soon...  She just pooped!!!   I try not to be a total hypochondriac for her, but there's certain things that especially concern me... Blockage scares the heck out of me, so her lack of pooping made me jump to that.  She's ridiculously regular, so to not go for 24 hours is a red flag to me... And the drool on top of it got my mid racing.

I'm still going to keep an eye on things, cuz she is having some gnarly audible gas that isn't typical for her.  But it's probably just a tummy ache.    
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:59 am

Poor lady-- any chance she's picked up a parasite? Maybe when your regular vet is open you could drop off a fecal sample. When Obi had giardia, his gut sounds were awe-inspiring.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Return to Health Issues