Stormy is sick

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Stormy is sick

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:54 pm

I haven't been around much at all lately but I thought I should pop in here and let you guys know about Stormy.

Stormy went to the vet this morning after we discovered she had a hard spot in her insides over the weekend.
The vet says it's either a Hemangiosarcoma or a Hemangioma, he said he was leaning a hair more towards the Hemangiosarcoma because of how quickly it cropped up. It's pressing out on her liver which made the liver and some of her other organs easily palpable, hence the hard spot we felt which sent us off to the vet. You can feel her liver right through the skin without having to press any harder than you would when rubbing canine tummy.
I'll be researching on this until I can't read anything I haven't already read.
If anyone here has experience with Hemangiosarcomas please share your experience if it's not too hard on you to re-tell, I understand that they are fast moving and vicious.
I'd really like to know how this could potentially go.
Stormy is hands down one of the best dogs I've ever had. She's been with me through some seriously bad stuff, she's gone out of her way to be friends with other animals, and even has the patience to let strange kittens hang from her face. She's just an all around good girl. I hate knowing she's sick and being afraid that even if we do go ahead and have the mass and the spleen removed it's not likely to be a long term fix.
The things I've read aren't giving me much hope, so I think feeling good vibes are more in order than healing vibes.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Stormy is sick

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:09 pm

My boss' 13 year old golden retriever had a hemangiosarcoma removed (and his spleen and a liver lobe) and survived for two wonderful years after. The immediate recovery was tough but he was good as new shortly afterwards.

I am so sorry to hear her diagnosis but it's good that you caught it before there was internal bleeding.

Hugs to you and healing thoughts for your gorgeous girl.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Stormy is sick

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 am

Feeling good vibes to your beautiful and faithful Stormy. You are both in my thoughts.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:15 am

Sending good thoughts too.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 pm

One of my agility buddies just did a spleenectomy on their Sheltie, Tux. They discovered the hemangiosarcoma almost by accident, and though 10, he's been in excellent health. He's recovering quite well, it's been about a month, and his prospects are excellent.

My son's APBT, Cyclone, passed away at 14 as a result of hemangiosarcoma. We did not know about it until it ruptured. The vet felt she was a very poor surgical candidate. My son was able to have a few days with her, to spoil her and say good-bye as her initial ruptures had closed. I would have euthanised her immediately, but my son was 17, so I left the decision up to him. It ruptured again, and we had her put to sleep.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I spoke with some family, we're getting a loan for the Ultrasound!
Stormy goes in on Friday morning at 10:30.
I'm going ahead with the ultrasound, that way we'll know one way or another what the mass is, and what can or can not be done about it.
I'm excited, this is the first reasonably hopeful news I've had all week! :nana:
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Sending positive thoughts
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:00 pm

BigBadPibbul wrote:I spoke with some family, we're getting a loan for the Ultrasound!
Stormy goes in on Friday morning at 10:30.
I'm going ahead with the ultrasound, that way we'll know one way or another what the mass is, and what can or can not be done about it.
I'm excited, this is the first reasonably hopeful news I've had all week! :nana:

any updates today?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:50 pm

We just got home a little bit ago. :yipee:

We went yesterday for the ultrasound, Dr McReynolds found her spleen right away, on the ultrasound machine her spleen was enormous and all of the space inside of it was what he called "starry night", it was black with white fuzz almost like a tv getting a little bit of static in there. It showed that her spleen was not getting much if any blood coming into it and that there was no blood coming out of it at all.
Essentially Stormy's spleen had rolled over and died. He called it Splenic Torsion and said she needed her spleen out right away.
Dr McReynolds called ahead to a vet friend of his in Denver and told us to get our butts up there right away.
We arrived in Denver and met with Dr. Ivanov at Planned Pethood. Dr. Ivanov was awesome, Stormy liked him right away, he was very gentle examining her and spoke to her while he did the things he was doing to see how she was.
Dr Ivanov went over her Xrays and Ultrasound images and ordered Pre-Surgery blood work and told me she would have her surgery in a little while.
Dr Iguchi called me last night at about four and told me that Stormy's surgery had gone extremely well, she said that the spleen was HUGE and very necrotic which explained why her white blood cell count was so extremely high on her blood work. She said I might be able to see her at 6:30 last night so I took a nap in my car and waited then went in to ask if I could see her at that time. Dr. Ivanov came out and spoke with me for a bit and said that though Stormy was doing very well she wasn't exactly aware and in his opinion it would probably not be a good idea to bring her out of the kennel they had her in so I could see her and that in his opinion it would be best for her to rest.
I drove out to my Brother in law's place in Broomfield so I wouldn't have to come all of the way home and drive back up again today.
I left the bro in law's place at 10 this morning, which is when the clinic that we went to opened, got there around 11:30 and when I went in one of the Techs came out and told me Stormy was ready to come home!
She told me that when she got there at 6 this morning Stormy was up and wagging her tail. One of the conditions on her coming home today was that she needed to eat and poop. The Tech said that Stormy had hoovered the wet food they gave her and had been such a good girl the whole morning. She said Stormy never tried to chew on her IV, she didn't potty inside at all and pooped for her as soon as she took her outside on a quick walk. I spoke briefly with Dr Ivanov again before we left, he said that the whole time she was there, before the surgery and in recovery, that she acted like she had no idea how close to death she really was.
They gave us a packet of pain pills and a bottle of antibiotics to bring home. The Tech walked outside with us in case Stormy needed help getting into the car. I parked right up against the curb to minimize the height of the car and Stormy got in like a pro, she used the door frame as a step and eased herself right on into the seat and turned around and sat looking out the front window like she always does when we're going somewhere.
She did pretty well on the way down but she kind of started drooping her head when we hit Colorado springs, she laid down about 1/3 of the way from there to here and slept off and on the rest of the way home.
I don't know how she can tell but about a mile outside of Pueblo she sat back up and looked out the window smiling and wagging her tail a little bit.
When we got here she scared me a little by hopping up onto the couch to lay down. I figure though that if she felt well enough to get up there on her own I'll let her get away with it just the one time but if she wants up there again after she goes outside next she's going to have to let me help her. I gave her a pill and took the wrap off her front leg like they said to do when we got home, and put the E-Collar on so she doesn't nibble on her staples if I step out of the room for a few moments.
I just looked behind me and she's snoozing away in her usual spot, her little eyelids are twitching and she's wiggling her nose and her lips are twitching up and down. Maybe she's dreaming about chasing the squirrels or scaring little dogs lol
She's got staples all up her belly but she doesn't act like she's hurting at all. The only thing really different about her right now over usual is that she's tired and just wants to snooze. After the rollercoaster we went on yesterday I think she deserves to snooze as much as she wants.
Tonight when I cook supper for us I'm going to shred the little chunk of beef roast Grannie brought down to us on our way through Colorado Springs and cook it with a little rice for her.
She goes in two weeks to have her staples out, hopefully she'll be totally fine by then and be ready to go scare little dogs and chase squirrels up the tree in the front yard.
I think I need a good stiff drink and a nap lol
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Such good news! Heal fast beautiful girl!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks Starr!
She's a little more perky right now, Jake shredded a little of that beef roast Grannie sent down for her with a fork and hand fed it to her so she wouldn't have to get up and move around. She ate about half of what he offered, and turned her nose up when he tried to give her more.
She had her pain pill and I laid an old shirt over her middle section so the stupif fly that I can't seem to get killed won't keep trying to land on her incision.
She lifts her head and looks to see what we're doing if we go in the kitchen. I think she'll probably be a lot more lively tomorrow when she's had a good night's rest in her own home and a little more food in her tummy.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Leslie H » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Great news.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I already posted on FB but I am so happy that Stormy is home and now will be able to heal and go on about her life as normal! :hug:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Stormy is feeling pretty good today. She was hanging out near the door even though she'd already been out to potty which is her way of letting me know it's time for walkies. I figured it wouldn't be too good of an idea to go walking in our usual places because of the weeds and sticks so we got in the car and went up to Petsmart and took a turn around the store.
Stormy stopped by the display of some of the semi-moist food we used as bait when we were showing so I bought her a small roll to have as snacks while she's stuck not going places and doing fun stuff. I cut off a piece for her when we got home and she went nuts, she looked so sad when I told her she could have more later lol
Her incision looks great, it's not swollen or oozing even a little, one of the spaces between staples concerns me a tiny bit but we're doing the antibiotics and pain pills so she should be good as gold when it comes time to have the staples removed.
I'll try to get some pictures of her up soon, gotta figure out the digital camera, it's kinda tricky for me.
I also found a couple of really neat videos of Splenectomy being performed on dogs, if anyone is interested in seeing I can post a link or post the video.
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I am so glad for you both on this update!
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues