Hello There!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello There!

Postby SmilingPittie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi, my name is Kris and I'm from Auburn, Alabama. I attend Auburn University, going into Wildlife Management. My passion is animals in general and I plan to devote my life to them. Dogs have always had the special place in my heart and I've been working with them, training, grooming, pet sitting, dog walking, and anything else you can think of, including working in shows and tagging along with other dog people, since I was 8 years old.

I currently have Koujo, my loving and devoted (even if a bit dim) Lab/Border collie mix (rescued), Athena, my 6 month old Border collie puppy, and Damian, my rescued APBT. Also, two cats and three snakes :). I purchased a pet friendly house since an apartment was out of the question :). I compete in agility, flyball, and obedience. I would like to get into rally, weight pulling, and herding.

Damian was bred by a backyard breeder who had no business even owning a pit bull. Both mother and father had severe aggression problems. Unable to find home for, or handle the pups, Damian was given to the breeder's mother, an elderly woman who housed her drunken son. For the first year of his life, Damian was abused by the drunk, kept locked up in the backyard, and allowed to get into fights with another unfixed mix breed male (Damian was also unfixed).

These were all relatives of my husbands. Once I was aware of the situation, I promptly removed Damian from their care. Damian is now a fixed, spoiled, lazy, happy 7 year old. He lives peacefully with my two girl dogs, LOVES the cats (he think they're his babies), loves kids (My younger sister is his best friend. So far, he's been dressed up as a pirate, a bear, and saddled like a horse- harmlessly and with supervision, I should add). But he is afraid of most men, people in hats, and will promptly attack a dominate, unfixed male, or a male who challenges him. He has severe anxiety, separation anxiety, fearful with some things, and in general a handful, but we love him to death. We don't take him out anymore because he is a liability and he seems to be content to stay on his bed in the AC anyways. He does have great obedience skills and knows several cute tricks to amuse company :).

I joined this group to hopefully get some advice on how to deal with some of Damian's changing behaviors now that he's older. I'm really excited to meet the people on here!
SmilingPittie
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello There!

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Welcome! As much as I can't stand Auburn (college football), they do have some really awesome animal programs and such! My family and I have attended many shows and had help from the staff there with some horses we've had over the years. Bravo to you for doing what you enjoy! I hope you enjoy it here, and take in as much as you can.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby SmilingPittie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Thank you so much! Yeah, I decided on Auburn for it's animal stuff, not much of a football person. I guess I'll have to become a football person though, as that's all everyone is talking about here right now! :)
SmilingPittie
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 am

Welcome to you Kris, and your BIG family!!

I think you will find a lot of help here for Damien as there are other people with the same issues with their dogs. There should be quite a few threads in the Behavior and Training section that will help.

Bless your heart for being such a go-getter and animal lover!! Rock On!! :peace:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby SmilingPittie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 am

Thank you!! :)
SmilingPittie
Newborn Bully

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:14 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:
Welcome to you and your crew.
Leslie H