Betsy

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Betsy

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:03 am

Trying to figure out how to market this dog for adoption. She was adopted out as a puppy, and now returned to us as a 4 year old dog. The family had children, and as soon as they were mobile, they started treating the dogs roughly. The other dog in the home began to display some aggression towards the kids to defend himself, Betsy would only lay on her bed and yelp, never made a move to defend herself. So they wanted to get rid of both dogs. We are glad she came back, no dog deserves to be abused. It's just sad that the parents would rather teach their children lack of respect for life and commitment than respect for living creatures and how to treat things lovingly.

She's not the beefiest, prettiest or nicest looking pit bull we've had but she's just about the sweetest. She absolutely gets along with everything. She is submissive to all other dogs, always giving them the submissive face lick. She's great with cats, ferrets, parrots. She's housebroken and doesn't need a crate. She's a low to moderate energy dog. She really doesn't require much in the way of exercise or discipline. She likes routine. She's good on leash and off leash. She does have a problem using the potty on leash but it's because she was always let out in a fence and never taught to go on leash. She's just a good, devoted and loving dog.

Can't figure out why we can't even get a nibble of interest on her. Is it because she's 4? I think that's a great age. Old enough to know exactly what you are getting with no surprises and lots of life to live.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Betsy

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 am

Good lord, I'd adopt her in a heartbeat!

Could you do a photo shoot with some props to girly her up a bit? A hat and a big girly necklace or something?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Re: Betsy

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:26 am

X2 what Allison said, she's plenty cute! Maybe a nice pink collar? She sure sounds like an easy dog to have around. That's terrible those people let their kids treat her like that, it does not bode well for their future.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Betsy

Postby mtlu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Are you guys willing to adopt out to first-time pit bull owners? She sounds like she could be a fairly easy dog even for first-time dog owners in general. I realize that's risky but if placement is local or where it's easy to do follow up home checks, that might not be so bad.

She sounds like she would do really well at a public/mobile adoption event - though that also takes a lot of resources.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Betsy is absolutely first time dog owner material. My only concern with that would be that if someone got her and then thought all pit bulls were this easy....they might run into trouble. Betsy is super easy. 5 minutes with a laser pointer out in the yard and she's beat and ready for bed. We don't have a set limit on where we would adopt her to. We would want it drivable and somewhere a home visit could be done, if not by us, then by a local rescue.

We have tried to get good pictures but she's so submissive that the big "eyeball" on the camera staring at her makes her turn her head and give a submissive tongue flick. You kind of have to catch her when she's not really paying attention. She is so difficult to photograph.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby mtlu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 pm

She looks like such a sweetheart! Does she like stuffie toys or kongs? Maybe she can be photographed while playing with a cute stuffed toy or working on a kong, that way she might be easier to photograph since she's preoccupied. Barring that, sleeping pictures on a comfy bed next with a stuffie next to her would certainly work the cute factor and also show how mellow she is.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Because she isn't the most pit-bully-looking girl, maybe you can get her in at an all-breed adoption event or see if other reputable local all-breed rescue will cross-post her or courtesy list her?

At my shelter, people who adopt pit bull mixes often are just looking for a nice family pet with few pre-set ideas about breed, just about desired personality and size. She may be more appealing to that crowd, vs people specifically looking for a rescue pit bull based only on her appearance and mellow personality?

I like the photo ideas too! If you can get a pic with her "making eye contact" with the camera that always pulls folks in. Dressed up shots, photos of her with kids, around various breeds/sizes of dogs (even just sitting on leash next to a leashed other dog), cute snoozing shots...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Giant pearl necklace and a series of photos of her "just being good" while wearing it. Maybe a video to "She's a lady" or another song about what a lady she is?

"The Nicest Girl on the Block"

Betsy calls to mind vintage 1950's and maybe girl scouts so a sash with her Badges aka skills and positive attributes.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I love love love her. what do you think is in the mix besides pit bull? 4 is a lovely age! where is she located?
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 pm

I don't know, she's just eastern NC pit bull. I was under the impression that she came from a backyard breeder who dumped two sick puppies at the shelter. Assumed he sold the rest or they died. They were full of hook worms and coccidia and were pretty runty. She is just small and rangy around 40 lbs, I don't know if she's mixed or not and haven't given it any thought. I didn't list her as a mix. She could be mixed or adba gamey, she's super soft like a lot of the gamey dogs. We spayed her pretty early too, so don't know if that affects the rangy. Who knows. Pit bulls didn't used to look like they do now all fat and bulldoggy, that's all people seem to want these days....fat blue toads. When I first started doing this, they looked more like her, more blacks, browns, brindles and reds, not a whole lot of fancy colors and they were rangier and smaller than what I see now.

She's in Raleigh Nc and willing to travel.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm

her response to the eye staring at her
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 am

I love her.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Naomi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:30 am

I think she beautiful. Id snap her up in a heart beat. She looks just like my boy. But I'm not in US :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Naomi
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 am

Too bad that ambullies disfigured people's perception of what a pitbull is... I think she's beautiful and her temperament sounds dreamy, who wouldn't want to adopt her? :inlove:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby ilovetyson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I just want to say I am SO In love with her! And I am not sure how she has been passed up! I LOVE the 2-4 age range! She is SO Gentle! Have you tried marketing her to therapy dog Organizations? She looks like she would be fantastic with that! Wish you were local, I would love to meet her myself! Is she in a shelter? Or being fostered through rescue?
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs